Woodpecker's Honing Guide
AHill- I wonder if the demonstrator has ever seen how Sellers sharpens his tools.

Simon
Derek, Most WP fans are power tool users. They wouldn't have the need to use anything outside the jig's settings. I am sure (100% this time) that some WP fans do not know
anything about cambered edges and the WP jig looks all good to them. $250 is not expensive to them either.

You are right that the jig is not designed with the hand tool woodworkers in mind.

Simon
(05-01-2019, 08:21 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Derek, Most WP fans are power tool users. They wouldn't have the need to use anything outside the jig's settings. I am sure (100% this time) that some WP fans do not know
anything about cambered edges and the WP jig looks all good to them. $250 is not expensive to them either.

You are right that the jig is not designed with the hand tool woodworkers in mind.

Simon

If I had the money I still wouldn't buy WP stuff.  Others do and will, but I don't envy them.  It's like women and jewelry.
(05-01-2019, 08:09 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: This is an awfully expensive guide when compared with the much cheaper LN, which has so much more potential and is beautifully built.

But Derek, the LN's not red.  Makes all the difference.
Note, too, that Woodpecker's sells primarily to the power tool crowd and they may have no clue what a honing guide is supposed to be or do.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Exactly, Curt. One could discuss the issues on a predominantly power forum such as Festool Owners Group, and it will be disregarded as all they want to sharpen are chisels. The WP is a bright shiny lure.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
A solution in search of a problem. Meh.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
This thing makes me love my WorkSharp even more.
I'm sure there are people that just have to have all of these tools, so as a marketing strategy it's not a bad idea.  But the design does show a lack of understanding of how most people sharpen. It was clearly designed by someone that has a cad package and a deadline. And now they can have another $250 tool that sharpens plane blades on a stone

win-win for them
Wait until WP releases a red handplane (for power tool users)!
Laugh
Winkgrin
Simon