Question on my cross cut sled..leave the runners long??
(05-01-2019, 02:17 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I used to use wooden runners but they expand and contract affecting the accuracy of cuts, so i have switched to Incra slides. With one wooden runner, it is quite possible that you may push the sled (esp large one with a thinner base) out of square as you cut.

But the sled is indispensable to those who need to cut small pieces. If you have to say cut a notch on a short strip, it is not an easy job for a miter saw or RAS. Bandsaw doable not as fast or as clean as on the sled.

Simon
I didn't think of the small piece aspect.  Small pieces can be scary to cut.  I may  have to make a new sled for those.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-01-2019, 11:22 AM)Phil S. Wrote: On my big sled I left them about 1/2" long so they were easier to see and line up on the slots.

If you simply lay the sled on top of the saw you can easily see both the saw's slots and the sled's runners at the same time. I don't see the difficulty, unless one is in the bad habit of leaving the blade up.
Wood is good. 
Mine just is on one side of the blade, fence on the front so it's a pusher for crosscutting big pieces.  The guide bar IIRC was one I bought for an Inca jig which I left long in case I every want to use it on something else.  Could have used a bar from a miter gauge but I had this one available so used what I had.  Obviously no issues with the bar changing dimensions due to changes in moisture content in the air.
Mine is a steel bar from a miter gauge
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-01-2019, 12:18 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: I also leave them a little long to make it to easier to line up.

Agreed.
What I would do.
Stub has little chance of breaking.
Even if it did, just trim.