Has Sellers Gone Off the Deep End?
(05-06-2019, 03:50 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: I expect this will be a new, paid membership site similar to the Woodworking MasterClass site. I didn’t get the impression they will be releasing this content for free on YouTube.

I don't think so. Moreover, I can't imagine how this house furniture thing is going to work. In one of his blog posts he claims the effort will take five years. Even if he spends five years at it, what's he going to build over that time? A bunch of tables and chairs? I don't think he's thought this out. One gets the impression that this is another of his phantasms, like the way he muses about trees and ducks and English glens and dales.

Sellers has devoted a great deal of his energies lately in producing free content for beginning woodworkers. It's hard to criticize this, but he's doing it at the expense of his paying customers. I suspect he's going to lose a lot of his paying customers over the next year or two unless he keeps putting out content that requires more than beginner's skills.

Time will tell.
(05-06-2019, 01:19 PM)Vince Wrote: I think that sums it up fairly succinctly. When the "personality" begins to interfere with and obfuscate the subject at hand, it crosses the line (for me, anyhow). Determining precisely where that inflection point resides isn't always easy, however.

I'm generally more interested in the woodworking than the person doing the talking or the writing, but that's just me. I can see how others might disagree.

For me, it is when "the personality" starts hawking tools, always with the caveat that "I paid full price...".

I'm interested in the techniques, and not the personal crap, politics or immature language/constant double entendres.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-07-2019, 05:53 AM)Tony Z Wrote: For me, it is when "the personality" starts hawking tools, always with the caveat that "I paid full price...".  

Laugh
Winkgrin
Laugh
Winkgrin 

or starts a new round of "stickers" sales pitch.

These days, anyone can sell ANYTHING as long as they have a following, informed or not.

Simon
(05-06-2019, 11:17 AM)Tony Z Wrote: The current Sellers blog post, received this morning, was very off-putting.  It's not that I do not care about effects on our environment, but he is now going too far in his preaching.  I would wager that some of the manufactured materials (plywood and such) are as harmful as the PVA glue he was expounding about today.  As far as Swartz, I am tired of his constant reminding us of paying for tools he promotes and his hawking of his own tool company.  I tired of his sophomoric humor.  I read blogs for woodworking!  However, I will add, that I truly appreciate his publishing company, Lost Arts Press.  The books, for content and publishing, are superb.

"As far as Swartz, I am tired of his constant reminding us of paying for tools he promotes and his hawking of his own tool company. I tired of his sophomoric humor."

Count me in...That has bugged me since he started in the craft.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hmm, yet another Bash Sellers thread?  Even that gets tiresome.....

latest Blog by your "Hero" involves spokeshaves....and spatulas....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(05-07-2019, 09:53 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmm, yet another Bash Sellers thread?  Even that gets tiresome.....

another BS thread?!!!
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Simon
(05-07-2019, 09:53 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmm, yet another Bash Sellers thread?  Even that gets tiresome.....

latest Blog by your "Hero" involves spokeshaves....and spatulas....

Actually Bandit, I wish we had more posts such as some of your "build along's". Tools actually being used for a change.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-06-2019, 04:44 PM)David Katz Wrote: Sellers has devoted a great deal of his energies lately in producing free content for beginning woodworkers. It's hard to criticize this, but he's doing it at the expense of his paying customers. I suspect he's going to lose a lot of his paying customers over the next year or two unless he keeps putting out content that requires more than beginner's skills.

Time will tell.

He still derives a great deal of his income by teaching classes.  I don't think he's hurting for income.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-07-2019, 04:06 PM)AHill Wrote: He still derives a great deal of his income by teaching classes.  I don't think he's hurting for income.

I haven't seen any advertisement for Sellers' training classes for years. Are you sure about this?

In any case, I've no doubt he isn't hurting for income. I suspect he's bringing in thousands a month on Woodworking Masterclass fees alone, let alone his YouTube income.
(05-07-2019, 12:42 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Actually Bandit, I wish we had more posts such as some of your "build along's".  Tools actually being used for a change.

I agree. Build along's are my favorite threads.
Bandit is a champ!
Ag