Are your tools rusting???
If you have a problem with it, here's a solution that works well for me in this extra humid climate....Raw Shea Butter....a natural product made from an African plant that is extremely good for the skin. It has a great smell and a creamy, somewhat waxy feel to it and it can soften dry skin quickly..don't let your main squeeze try it or she may confiscate it from the shop. It's a cheap and effective way to stop rust from happening...a little 2oz. plastic container of it cost about two bucks at the Dollar Store or health food shop.. works great....and you wont stink!!!!!!!
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-477.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-03-2019, 01:46 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: If you have a problem with it, here's a solution that works well for me in this extra humid climate....Raw Shea Butter....a natural product made from an African plant that is extremely good for the skin. It has a great smell and a creamy, somewhat waxy feel to it and it can soften dry skin quickly..don't let your main squeeze try it or she may confiscate it from the shop. It's a cheap and effective way to stop rust from happening...a little 2oz. plastic container of it cost about two bucks at the Dollar Store or health food shop.. works great....and you wont stink!!!!!!!
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-477.jpg]

Thanks for the tip!
I have often wondered what folks do that live close to the sea.
I wipe my planes and saws with mineral oil, as someone here recommended to me some time ago.
I try to wipe everything several times a year (perhaps quarterly) between uses.
Golden rod has been recommended too, but so far I have not seen the need.
(05-03-2019, 07:47 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Thanks for the tip!
I have often wondered what folks do that live close to the sea.
I wipe my planes and saws with mineral oil, as someone here recommended to me some time ago.
I try to wipe everything several times a year (perhaps quarterly) between uses.
Golden rod has been recommended too, but so far I have not seen the need.

I think I have tried just about everything, Ag...but this works as well as anything and it smells a lot better also...I have melted it and mixed it with beeswax, olive oil, coconut oil, carnauba wax and it works well but it also works just fine right by itself..It really only takes a little bit on your finger to apply a very thin coat. That's saying something in our oppressive heat and humidity. And it is great for sunburned skin!!
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Interesting.... I have been using tallow for years now and it works well. This looks more avaliable.

Do you pick something thats 100 percent shea butter or otherwise make sure your not ending up with added chemicals or water that might give you issues?

Thanks
There are so many solutions to rust prevention I think the valuable ones are those designed, or discovered to be long term for lazy maintenance. I fit that target group. Multi-purpose is always advantageous, too.

Jack, I notice that Wiki' says Shea can go rancid in about a year. Have you noticed any odors on your tools or older containers?

This close to, and downwind of Puget Sound we get a lot of winter storms that pick up salt. My first shocking experience with rust was when my virgin Veritas smoothing plane bloomed a Ronald McDonald blush a few weeks after she moved into my garage. After sanding off the carmen color I applied something that held off the naked blush a little longer. Eventually, I discovered Fluid Film (Lanolin) and dressed her up in wool fat. She is much happier.

Bruce
(05-04-2019, 07:11 AM)mongo Wrote: Interesting.... I have been using tallow for years now and it works well.  This looks more avaliable.  

Do you pick something thats 100 percent shea butter or otherwise make sure your not ending up with added chemicals or water that might give you issues?

Thanks

I used tallow for a long time also but it had some downsides for me..I have only used this one brand of shea butter and it is as thick as paste wax, but it can be spread very thinly so it is almost non-detectable. I am not sure it is 100% ..I have seen it for sale at a dollar store in a small tube, but that seems to be much thinner in consistency to me...I would recommend staying with the one that is more like paste wax.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-04-2019, 01:17 PM)hbmcc Wrote: There are so many solutions to rust prevention I think the valuable ones are those designed, or discovered to be long term for lazy maintenance. I fit that target group. Multi-purpose is always advantageous, too.

Jack, I notice that Wiki' says Shea can go rancid in about a year. Have you noticed any odors on your tools or older containers?

This close to, and downwind of Puget Sound we get a lot of winter storms that pick up salt. My first shocking experience with rust was when my virgin Veritas smoothing plane bloomed a Ronald McDonald blush a few weeks after she moved into my garage. After sanding off the carmen color I applied something that held off the naked blush a little longer. Eventually, I discovered Fluid Film (Lanolin) and dressed her up in wool fat. She is much happier.

Bruce

Bruce, I have not noticed any change at all in the Shea I am using..I don't know what pure Shea "feels" like on the skin, but have used lanolin years ago and remember how smooth it seemed to me..This Shea butter has that "feel" so it may contain lanolin as well...The container only says "organic" and that can cover a multitude of things..
Crazy
Big Grin

I think the "secret" to rust prevention is to never let it get started...Keep the air away from the metal surface by using a good lube and checking the tool periodically. Wipe it off before every use and re-apply it when finished for the day. I completely understand how rust on an LN would make you feel..it would ruin my day!!!!!!..Unprotected steel can rust overnight..
Angry

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Has anyone used gun oil as a protectant against rust on infrequently used hand tools or as a general practice? What has been the results?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(05-07-2019, 10:37 AM)Woodenfish Wrote: Has anyone used gun oil as a protectant against rust on infrequently used hand tools or as a general practice? What has been the results?
On my firearms, I have used RIG { aka Rust Inhibiting Grease } for 40 years or more......It's probably the original jar..
Big Grin .I like it so much that I wont risk using anything else. Brownells sells it as well as other vendors...The problem with light oil is it is easily wiped off unknowingly and I am not sure how effective it is against sweaty hands., [ poison hands as the Germans used to call it } I had poison hands when I was young...I could almost "look" at bare steel and make it rust!!!!! It's hell on precision machinist tools.
Angry I think it's ok to use oil if the tools are checked regularly but I don't trust it for long term storage. I hate rust!!!!
Upset

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack - what happened to

[Image: 5358fc2c-6d5d-4c18-a107-6f5e11011096_1.5...nBg=FFFFFF]

You used to "swear" by it and I followed up and I still have my can for at least 15 years...
Wink