Diamonds are a man's best friend
(05-04-2019, 04:09 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Where are you buying it Jack?

I’m not Jack, but I get really good service and prices from a lapidary shop.   I’m not sure if it’s against the TOS or I’d give a link to the one is use.
(05-04-2019, 04:09 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Where are you buying it Jack?

Gary, I bought the paste shown in the photo, in the syringes at Woodcraft some time ago..The smaller containers have industrial diamond paste at high concentration which you can get at tool and die and machinist supply houses like Shars..Nice thing about diamond paste is a little bit goes a very long way, so it's not much more expensive than chrome oxide and there is no comparison...the diamond beats the tar out of it.
Big Grin ....the commercial grade has more diamond and less "paste".....and naturally it is more expensive. You can also get it at any Lapidary supply house and from sellers on ebay...You might be able to get it on Amazon but I haven't checked for it there..You can often beat their prices on ebay.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I've bought sets with 40u down to 0.5u or maybe finer for between $12 and $7 on eBay. 

Granite plate and a sheet of printer paper to hold paste.  Does a great job on plane blades and chisel backs.

Not at home but will try to remember to find last purchase link and take some pics tonight.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(05-03-2019, 03:19 PM)daddo Wrote: You're gonna have to elaborate and be more generally specific.

Now there are two words you rarely see together.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-05-2019, 05:07 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I've bought sets with 40u down to 0.5u or maybe finer for between $12 and $7 on eBay. 

Granite plate and a sheet of printer paper to hold paste.  Does a great job on plane blades and chisel backs.

Not at home but will try to remember to find last purchase link and take some pics tonight.

Last time I bought a set, this is my 3rd, was from eBay. Of course the link is expired but the "find similar" barfed up this:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1...2749.l2658

First set I played with and pretty much used up because I was using too much paste. Turns out, you need very little to do the polishing of the back of a chisel or iron. Second set I used some but gave to a friend so he could play with it because I was mostly caught up. 3rd set is because I decided to go back and do some more blades.

3rd time was $7 plus $3 shipping from China so it did take a while to get.
Rob, I use water for lubricant. What I find in your link are oil mixed. There is so little used, can they work with water? 

Thanks for the link. I have been struggling to justify a Norton US supplier. I may go to them once I have grits dialed in. It was just too costly to play "guess, guess, and aww-shucks, bad choice".
(05-06-2019, 02:59 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Rob, I use water for lubricant. What I find in your link are oil mixed. There is so little used, can they work with water? 

Thanks for the link. I have been struggling to justify a Norton US supplier. I may go to them once I have grits dialed in. It was just too costly to play "guess, guess, and aww-shucks, bad choice".

I don't know.  

I simply cut up some printer paper into little strips. Initially taping them down on the stone near the edge, no tape on the side closes to the stone edge. Eventually I skipped the tape and just held the strip with my off-hand.

First several times, I used too much paste. All I really needed were a few dabs spaced out on the strip. Then press the back down and start working left to right along the stone. You know you have too much paste when it all ends up caught on the edges of the blade due to scraping it off the paper.

I would work the grit until the scratch pattern was even AND I had pretty much turned the paper black with the mix of grit, oil and steel. Just a few minutes with each grit.

I did not use these to sharpen, just flatten/polish backs.

YMMV
(05-06-2019, 03:49 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I don't know.  

I simply cut up some printer paper into little strips. Initially taping them down on the stone near the edge, no tape on the side closes to the stone edge. Eventually I skipped the tape and just held the strip with my off-hand.

<<<< SNIP>>>>
YMMV

Thanks Rob. For some reason I think a slurry is required. I think I'll go ahead and order from one who looks most honest. These one-man shops (read, regional source) can be really slippery. 

1. One ships random grits.
2. One is priced for half the quantity; random(?) grits.
3. One reviewer--and I heard this a lot--complained about colored paste with no diamonds.
4. Price seems to be no gaurantee of integrity. 

I will try and go to the original intended US source for the final product.