Anyone use a tool cabinet as router table base?
Wondering if any Woodnetters have used a tool cabinet as a table base? The 41" length is perfect for the Incra router fence that's been on the shelf here for 2 or so years waiting to be used. 

I'd take the top 3 drawers out of the right side, seal the inside with plywood and add a door. The top would be covered  with 3/4" BB plywood to support the particle board door top. There will be some overhang on the sides which will limit the access to the back of the top drawers. Not a big deal. 

Anyone here done something like this? I'd love to see pics before cutting into the top of a new cabinet.

Thanks for reading,  g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I haven't, but i like how you've lined it out. If you have the space, might also consider just overhanging one end for the router to keep all the drawers. When i've looked at steel-sided cabinets for router table bases, i've wondered about the possibility of the sound echoing.
earl
Seems you could make that out of BB and have money left in your wallet.

Why would you wanna modify a $450 roll away cabinet? Seems like there is no benefit other than it would be something different. What am I missing?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Why?

Instant cabinet.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I used a used 36" lower kitchen cab, made a top for two rockler plates with 7500 pc routers, and use those for my door rail and stiles.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have thought about it a lot this past year.  One of the Woodnetters moved to Omaha and visited my house a few times told me he would help me build a Yankee workshop one and have not seen him for over a year now.

It would easy to make it this way but it would be to high and a few of the drawers would have to be taken out and then filled so dust would not fill the rest of the box.

I really wish he would come back and I was going to have 28" wings on both sides to hold the wood so I would not have so I would not have to hold it while routing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Go on CL and get a free cabinet from someone in your area—happens all the time.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Kreg sells bench kits in a number of different sizes that would satisfy your requirements:

[Image: 14x28Bench.jpg]

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c42/unive...ight-legs/

Add a set of casters, build out the box and top as you have already planned and you're a couple $100 ahead.
They sell the rails and legs separately if you wish to put together a size not already configured as a kit.
~Dan.
If the wheels on that tool cabinet don't lock, forget it.