Need recommendation for an airless paint sprayer
We need to repaint 8 interior doors in our house. They were spray painted originally and have a gorgeous smooth finish--it's just the wrong color for the house today. I'd like to repaint them using Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane trim enamel with an airless sprayer but have no recent experience. SW recommends 2000 psi with a .013-.017" tip. I did do some varnish spraying years ago finishing golf clubs so am somewhat familiar with checking viscosity, maintaining clean equipment and filtering paint but have never used an airless sprayer or sprayed anything as large as a door, much less 8 of them.

Is there a gun in the $100-150 range that would work in this application? 

Thanks for reading,
g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I just bought a Wagner X5 but haven't used it yet. If you check back in a few weeks I will hopefully be able to tell you a lot more. Reading the manual, however, it has a max psi of 3,000 and a selection of tips that I am sure would incorporate your needs. I bought a remanufactured one off e-bay (same warranty as new) for $194 and free shipping. Just looking at and handling it, it seems like a decently constructed unit.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Thanks Pedro,
I checked Home Depot and they rent a Graco pro level airless spray for $86/ day. Thinking that's the best option for us, I don't see a lot of use for one beyond this door project. If the need arises I'll just rent again.

Thanks again, g

(05-05-2019, 08:56 PM)shoottmx Wrote: We need to repaint 8 interior doors in our house. They were spray painted originally and have a gorgeous smooth finish--it's just the wrong color for the house today. I'd like to repaint them using Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane trim enamel with an airless sprayer but have no recent experience. SW recommends 2000 psi with a .013-.017" tip. I did do some varnish spraying years ago finishing golf clubs so am somewhat familiar with checking viscosity, maintaining clean equipment and filtering paint but have never used an airless sprayer or sprayed anything as large as a door, much less 8 of them.

Is there a gun in the $100-150 range that would work in this application? 

Thanks for reading,
g

An airless blows paint faster than you can blink.  They can do a very good job in trained hands but if you don't have experience with one you might be in for an unpleasant experience, especially using a gun in your target price range.  You might want to consider taking the doors to a pro and let them paint them for you.  

John
Thanks John,
That's good advice. I hadn't considered flow rate--recommendation of a .013 to .017 nozzle at 2000 psi---If the nozzle creates the 2000 psi back pressure that would be a ton of material flow. I'll look for a cabinet maker or an experienced painter.

Thanks again, your advice is always appreciated,

g

(05-06-2019, 08:03 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks John,
That's good advice. I hadn't considered flow rate--recommendation of a .013 to .017 nozzle at 2000 psi---If the nozzle creates the 2000 psi back pressure that would be a ton of material flow. I'll look for a cabinet maker or an experienced painter.

Thanks again, your advice is always appreciated,

g

A cabinet shop that does painted cabinets might be a good bet.  

John
If you only need 8 doors shot I’d find a painter with a stand alone shop you could drop them off at. Using your garage could be an option too. If you rent an airless you’ll want a 311-313 tip, IMO. That would be a 6” wide spray fan (3x2) and that last two digits are hole diameter.

Like John said, an airless will really blow some paint quickly. I’ve almost never used a tip bigger than .013 with interior enamels. I use a 515 or 517 on ceilings if that tells you anything.

Consider a waterbourne enamel. Spraying oil is messy job and there’s little need for it nowadays. You’ll also be glad you used a WB for when you need to paint other trim in the house.

(05-06-2019, 09:50 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: If you only need 8 doors shot I’d find a painter with a stand alone shop you could drop them off at.  Using your garage could be an option too.  If you rent an airless you’ll want a 311-313 tip, IMO.  That would be a 6” wide spray fan (3x2) and that last two digits are hole diameter.  

Like John said, an airless will really blow some paint quickly.  I’ve almost never used a tip bigger than .013 with interior enamels.  I use a 515 or 517 on ceilings if that tells you anything.  

Consider a waterbourne enamel.  Spraying oil is messy job and there’s little need for it nowadays.  You’ll also be glad you used a WB for when you need to paint other trim in the house.

What he said^. If you really want to paint them yourself, especially with oil, I suggest you get an adjustable tip. You can get a pattern down to about what comes out of a quarter panel spray bomb. You wouldn't want to spray a door with a spray pattern that small though; It would be too hard to keep a wet edge.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Planning to use using Sherwin Williams Emerald urethane trim enamel which is water based. I'm going to contact a painter that has sprayed for us before to see if he could come here and spray the doors in the garage, hopefully he can fit us into his schedule. If not I'll look into this sprayer rental at Home Depot.

Thanks KC and Mstr, appreciate your thoughts,

g

Check with Sherwin Williams about renting an airless.