Using a large rocking chair on a ceramic tile floor?
I have an all-tile floor that I'd like to use my oversized rocking chair on. I'm worried about cracking the tiles and
would like some kind of protection. My preference is an area rug with something thin but strong under the rug
(only under the rocking chair area). It would have to be thin ( like 1/4" or less) to not be a cosmetic issue. I thought of
a piece of luan plywood (comes in 1/8" to 1/4"), but I don't think it would be strong enough for constant rocking.

Any ideas on a material?

Thanks!
Fred
Just curious....but why are you worried about the tile cracking?  If installed correctly there shouldn't be any movement or air-gaps that would allow the tile itself to crack...it should be supported by the thin-set and the subfloor completely.
If a rocking chair is all it takes to crack the tile, they'd be out of business in a day. Rock away!

if you worry about scuffing, cement a strip of leather or felt under the rockers.
(05-06-2019, 12:43 PM)daddo Wrote: If a rocking chair is all it takes to crack the tile, they'd be out of business in a day.  Rock away!

if you worry about scuffing, cement a strip of leather or felt under the rockers.

I'd be more concerned with the rocker 'walking' on tile.
You could possibly epoxy a commercial cork on the bottom of the rails.

(05-06-2019, 07:48 PM)KC Wrote: I'd be more concerned with the rocker 'walking' on tile.

That is a concern, too. Thanks for reminding me.
(05-06-2019, 07:48 PM)KC Wrote: I'd be more concerned with the rocker 'walking' on tile.

Way back when I was a kid the rocker on the porch would walk to one side if you didn't sit square. Shift around in the seat and it would walk back.
Cool

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Put down a mat or a small rug.  [Image: European-round-mat-computer-chair-carpet...640q70.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've never seen one that didn't walk, but I've only owned 3 of them. Depends on how long and how much you rock.

I do remember one that must have walked an inch every rock. We no longer own that chair.
(04-25-2021, 07:23 AM)MrIkari Wrote: I also have only tile floors in my house, and I would agree that tile floors are better and more convenient.
However, there is a considerable disadvantage related to tile floors.
People who have ceramic tile floors would agree that they get dirty pretty easy while cleaning them isn't that easy.
Luckily, I found a tile cleaning service, and I contact them whenever I need them.
Their phone number is 0488 854 705, and their site is DELETED, so if you also would like to contact them, then now, you have all the necessary information.

BAM !!!!

SPAMMER
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]