Dust Collector Upgrade, Delta 50-760, SDD
(12-13-2019, 09:25 AM)Darrell D. Wrote: Do you have an pictures that details how you attached the top plate on the outlet.  I am putting a donut on my bottom outlet (my Wynn filter is still on top as normal) to replace that plastic bag with a 7 gallon bucket mounted with a Gamma 2 lid.  I am using some Wynn clips.  But would like to see some alternatives as well.

Sorry, no pictures but it's basically some wooden blocks with 1" flat aluminum strips screwed to them to make a sort of hook that hooks onto the dust collector's interior flange.  The screws through the plywood top plate are screwed into the blocks to cinch it down.  Not the best solution but it works - it was a bit of a pain to keep them all hooked while tightening the screws.  Several times a block came loose from the screw and fell into the filter - at that point I had to remove everything, fish out the block and start all over.  If I ever take the top plate off again I will probably try to work out a better method.
These mods have been a long time in the making.

First, came the 30 gal fiber drum for a pre-separator.  It has a Thien baffle inside.
Second I added the Wynn pleated filter.

Link with more pics; https://dbdors.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous...-Seperator

Finally I got rid of that plastic bag.  Installed a plywood donut with a gamma lid and 7 gallon bucket.

_____
Darrell
That Gamma lid seems like a very good idea!
(01-02-2020, 06:16 PM)nuk Wrote: That Gamma lid seems like a very good idea!
Yes it is, I cant take credit for it, someone on YouTube did it and I am sure many others have.
_____
Darrell
Another tweak.  I added a Long Ranger III remote control and decided to go overhead with the cord.  Since I move the dust collector around the shop the cord on the ground always seemed to be under the wheels.  I extended the cord to 20 feet using a 14/3 extension cord, flipped the power box and added a pigtail strain relief grommet.  To keep the plug from pulling out of the Long Ranger I zip tied it to a screw eye mounted above.

[Image: Jd6okje.jpg]

[Image: T9TY9un.jpg]

[Image: ZM5Uxx1.jpg]

[Image: Ka4J9SJ.jpg]
A follow up to my dust collector modifications.

I recently planed quite a bit of poplar for a project, emptying the bin 6-8 times.  Towards the end I noticed that my air flow gauge had dropped to about 80%.  I suspect that I had let the bin get too full a couple of times.  I remembered reading somewhere that you should not let the collection bin get above a certain level or the cyclone would become less effective.  I posted a question to Oneida Air Systems and they responded that if the drum is overfilled, dust can move back into the cyclone and disrupt separation performance.  They recommended allowing 4-6" below the cyclone bottom outlet.

[Image: uJL4o7Z.jpg]

This is what I found when I first opened the bottom of the filter:

[Image: eCQSMAZ.jpg]    [Image: XiTSnH0.jpg?2]

I replace the bottom and gently tapped the sides of the filter:

[Image: pI6FljW.jpg]    [Image: 0lZZevQ.jpg]

Back to 100%!!!

[Image: roxBu8N.jpg]
I found this thread at the perfect time. I have the same Delta dust collector. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
(08-10-2020, 01:55 PM)T.J. Wrote: I found this thread at the perfect time. I have the same Delta dust collector. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

You're welcome.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Overall I am very pleased with the results.
(05-06-2019, 08:08 PM)Sullivan Wrote: My latest and hopefully final upgrade to my Delta 50-760 dust collector.

I just picked up 50-760 on craigslist with super dust deputy.  Ordered the wynn filter and got everything assembled.
It is a bit tall with filter on top.  Thinking of bringing it down.  Are you still running this setup? any issues?

How did you secure the filter on the bottom?  i looked at the pictures and don't really see how its mounted.  Also what did you use to close up the top?  round plywood with weather gasket?

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-07-2021, 08:27 AM)woodal Wrote: I just picked up 50-760 on craigslist with super dust deputy.  Ordered the wynn filter and got everything assembled.
It is a bit tall with filter on top.  Thinking of bringing it down.  Are you still running this setup? any issues?

How did you secure the filter on the bottom?  i looked at the pictures and don't really see how its mounted.  Also what did you use to close up the top?  round plywood with weather gasket?

Yes, very happy with this setup.  No issues other than having to empty the bin frequently which is not bad since it is so easy.  I really like the clear bin.

The bottom is attached from the inside with 3 of the large "Floating Gear Latches" than Wynn Environmental sells. 

[Image: sSypyUfm.jpg]

I don't have a good picture but you can almost see them in this one (picture from bottom with lid off, looking up):

[Image: jzUWpOrm.jpg]

The top is just some 1/2" baltic birch plywood that I already had on hand.  It is attached with some wood block "hooks" and screws.  It works but was a pain to install.  If I did it again I would probably buy another metal filter cover from Wynn and use some of the same gear latches (small) to attach it from the outside.  There is a rubber gasket between the plywood and dust collector - not sure where I got it - I think it may have come with the filter (???).

[Image: bMBtQhkm.jpg]

Let me know if you have any other questions.