Smc

So now you have to pay to see pictures ?
  Re: Smc by Windsurfer (So now you have to p...)
(05-07-2019, 10:36 PM)Windsurfer Wrote: So now you have to pay to see pictures ?

Six (6) dollars a year? Oh, the PAIN! I'll be bankrupt!!!

Jeez!
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
Yes..............it takes money to show those pictures worldwide.  Winkgrin
Steve

Putzing, the new hobby

Evil lurks here, but eventually gets cleansed.

Re: RE: Smc by Stwood_ (Yes..............it ...)
Does not bother me as I don't visit any forum (or watch any online videos) that charge me something. Neither have I ever owned a credit card that has an annual fee.

Simon
I visit a number of places and yes I pay the tariff at SMC. Forums are like people, and all have individual traits. SMC is privately owned, ran pretty much as a hobby/afterthought to a man's full time business. With modern ad blocking software many of us have (banner ads were his major source of income), he is hemmorrhaging money and to keep the site up, he has to charge, or shut SMC down.

To some SMC may seem restrictive with the owner's desires to maintain civility. But, maybe I'm too dumb to see how bad it is or rather let it bother me.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
http://www.metaltech-pm.com
I agree with Tony. SMC is a terrific website, and a fantastic resource for woodworkers around the globe. One cannot expect to just take and not give something back. This is a privately funded website. The owner of the website is entitled to have expenses met. Don't you think? The amount asked is less that you pay for a magazine once each year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s. Windsurfer ... 3 posts in 6 years?
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at http://www.inthewoodshop.com
  Re: RE: Smc by Derek Cohen (I agree with Tony. S...)
(05-08-2019, 06:35 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I agree with Tony. SMC is a terrific website, and a fantastic resource for woodworkers around the globe. One cannot expect to just take and not give something back. This is a privately funded website. The owner of the website is entitled to have expenses met. Don't you think? The amount asked is less that you pay for a magazine once each year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s. Windsurfer ... 3 posts in 6 years?

I have to change the auto entry feature on my Mac at home-getting weird use of the English language!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
http://www.metaltech-pm.com
  Re: RE: Smc by Derek Cohen (I agree with Tony. S...)
(05-08-2019, 06:35 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: p.s. Windsurfer ... 3 posts in 6 years?

I guess maybe there is more to my life than the internet...

Even if I wanted to, I can't join SMC. My user name there is an alias because they refused to accept my real name !
I also received grief from the moderators there on one of my few posts because I asked the wrong person about a chisel; geez
As a result of the above, I don't want to contribute. I did occasionally go there to browse pictures, but not any more.
(05-08-2019, 10:28 AM)Windsurfer Wrote: I also received grief from the moderators there on one of my few posts because I asked the wrong person about a chisel; geez

I have never seen or heard of such an occurrence in all the many years I have been part of SMC.

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s. incidentally, I was a very serious windsurfer for a good 25 or more years. Raced competitively on the West Australian circuit, and a couple of comps with international sailors. I miss those days.
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at http://www.inthewoodshop.com
  Re: RE: Smc by Derek Cohen ([quote='Windsurfer' ...)
(05-08-2019, 11:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have never seen or heard of such an occurrence in all the many years I have been part of SMC.
Mods are quite heavy handed over there, at least they were until about 8-10 years ago when I left.  You get private PMs with obnoxious demands and scoldings that are not public.  Too many rules as well.  God bless and to each his/her own, but that's not for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis