Hot Water Heater Blues
After some more investigation this morning, I have an AO Smith 50 gallon natural gas hot water heater.

I know there can't be much to it. There's a burner (that's working), there's a pilot light / thermocouple (that's working), and a dip tube (?).

It's just that checking the dip tube involves some minor system surgery. The other stuff is external and easy checks.
How old is the water heater?
19 years I believe (original to the house). I looked for a date on the label, but couldn't find one.

I know it's getting long in the tooth.
(05-13-2019, 11:40 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: 19 years I believe (original to the house).  I looked for a date on the label, but couldn't find one.

Obviously your call......but sounds like replacement time. I'd rather do it on my schedule than when it finally cr*ps out and leaks.
Wow - we have good water and I've changed out both water heaters 3 times in the last 19 years.

One was about ready to let go last time, in fact it started leaking before they got it loaded in the truck.

Both of mine are in the attic, so I tend to be proactive before they let go.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
19 years of service on a water heater with a 6 year warranty? Congratulations! You won!
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(05-13-2019, 11:40 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: 19 years I believe (original to the house).  I looked for a date on the label, but couldn't find one.

The date will be embedded in the serial number.
Here's a link for water heater manufacturing date codes.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-14-2019, 07:05 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The date will be embedded in the serial number.
Here's a link for water heater manufacturing date codes.

Thanks Snipe!

More characters
Wow, yeah, time for a change out. 

We replaced an electric 40 gal made in 1990 two years ago with a new 50 gal. Our power bill went down $20 the first month.
(05-13-2019, 01:25 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Both of mine are in the attic, so I tend to be proactive before they let go.

Yeah, you can replace it at your convenience, or you can replace it when it’s leaking, can’t be used, you have a house full of company, it’s the holidays, and it’s made a mess of everything that will now cost even more money on top of the overtime holiday emergency service and house repairs.  Not that I’d know anything about that.  
Uhoh
Uhoh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"