Long high-quality brad point bits
(05-12-2019, 10:03 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: My last set came from Lawson Products. No idea who made them, but excellent bits.
Lawson makes some very high quality bits that contain 5% or more cobalt...High Speed Steel....I have drilled out many a grade 8 bolt with them...none better IMO...with the possible exception of the Bad Dog bits.....You can drill through a file with them!!!!
Big eek I also have a set of Bad Dog forstners..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Well, lest anyone think I'm not following along.....I've checked some of these leads and didn't find exactly what I'm after. The Lawson website doesn't list any brad point bits, and the Fuller site lists some that are longer, but none of the series that OBG53 mentioned. The Amazon bits suggested are the length (and sizes) I want, but I'm suspicious with that price point. Even so I may order a set and give them a look; the Amazon return policies are easy to live with. I did check the "wood Owl" bits, and they look to be quality bits, but they are auger bits, not brad points...and they are generally the larger size (diameter) bits. I still thinking that ultimately I'll suck it up and get the Fuller bits, the old buy once, cry once thing. But I might get that Amazon set first and check it out, just in case. Thanks guys.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred, maybe the bits on page 9 of this catalog?  They appear to be part of the Twinland series which are decent bits but not as good as the LV ones you have.  I checked Norseman and they don't have, didn't think they would because I've looked at their catalog many times figuring what to stock.

http://colt-tools.com/projects/32/images/cata_new.pdf
(05-13-2019, 10:18 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Lawson makes some very high quality bits that contain 5% or more cobalt...High Speed Steel....I have drilled out many a  grade 8 bolt with them...none better IMO...with the possible exception of the Bad Dog bits.....You can drill through a file with them!!!!
Big eek  I also have a set of Bad Dog forstners..

Yes. Some of the best steel drilling bits I've ever used. I have 3-4 full sets up to an inch.
My brother used to sell for Lawson, so.....
Wink
Winkgrin  I got a lot of the overruns and such.

Maybe they've quit selling brad points. Can't ask brother as he no longer works for them.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-13-2019, 12:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Well, lest anyone think I'm not following along.....I've checked some of these leads and didn't find exactly what I'm after. The Lawson website doesn't list any brad point bits, and the Fuller site lists some that are longer, but none of the series that OBG53 mentioned. The Amazon bits suggested are the length (and sizes) I want, but I'm suspicious with that price point. Even so I may order a set and give them a look; the Amazon return policies are easy to live with. I did check the "wood Owl" bits, and they look to be quality bits, but they are auger bits, not brad points...and they are generally the larger size (diameter) bits. I still thinking that ultimately I'll suck it up and get the Fuller bits, the old buy once, cry once thing. But I might get that Amazon set first and check it out, just in case. Thanks guys.
They have both auger and bradpoint and they call them both "auger" in the listing.  Enlarge the photos and you will see which it is.  

I bought a 3/4" bit to drill out a home made MFT table.  I drilled 40 holes per table and built three tables.  The 40 holes were in 3/4" MDF and I find that MDF dulls bits pretty fast.  It is still cutting cleanly.  I regret getting the auger style.  I should have bought the brad point.  It drilled a bit too aggressively with the auger point.  

They are calling this an auger bit, but clearly it is a brad point bit:  https://www.amazon.com/Diameter-OverDriv...ay&sr=8-10
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.