An improved Moxon vise
Yah, really!

Let's see, how many painful aches and impossibilities are in that picture. Toes first.....
(05-13-2019, 10:12 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I have plans to make a new Moxon vise, using steel screws and iron wheels ala BenchCrafted, and all the parts are waiting in my workshop. But they will wait until this build is completed. And so I decided to modify the Moxon vise I have been using for the past 8 years.
Question for you. Since your Moxon is a wood screw and you're going to BenchCraft hardware, what was your reasoning?

I ask because I have been thinking about using wood screws on my benches in my new shop, which I'll be building soon. The reason is that the Veritas twin-screw has always been a bit problematic for me, but I like the functionality of the twin screw. I have also thought about using the Benchcraft hardware for a twinscrew, and maybe that's the better thing to do. I also looked at the Hovart a while back, but I don't see too many benches using it. A lot of people use the BenchCrafted.

Cheers,
Alan
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Hi Alan

Why the steel screws? Partly, I am curious. Partly, I could also design a more compact Moxon vise, since the side "ears are not necessary when using hold downs at the rear.

The wooden screws work well, but I dislike the bar handles. They are easy to crank down, but also easy to catch fingers under the edge of the chop when tightening. A steel screw should run more smoothly and require less force. The small wheel will not catch fingers.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-20-2019, 10:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Why the steel screws? Partly, I am curious. Partly, I could also design a more compact Moxon vise, since the side "ears are not necessary when using hold downs at the rear.

I think I'm  curious also, but do like the steel screws on the veritas twin-screw, just that I find it a bit finicky.

(05-20-2019, 10:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The wooden screws work well, but I dislike the bar handles. They are easy to crank down, but also easy to catch fingers under the edge of the chop when tightening. A steel screw should run more smoothly and require less force. The small wheel will not catch fingers.

I know there's no perfect vise, at least it doesn't seem. I do like having a twin-screw on the face of my bench. I've thought about trying to find some used ball-screws to use, it seems they would be more accurate than the square/acme type of that are used today by most. I need to build at least 2 benches to have in my new shop.

Cheers,
Alan
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.