Woodsmith-inspired Stationary Edge Sander build thread
(02-10-2020, 08:55 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: So, are there any 8x89" belts out there?  Closest I can find is 8x107" through McMaster.

2sand.com

John
Why would you want 8x89?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I build mainly small boxes. Some of them are tall. I'd like a bit more height on the belt to reach more surface at a time.

I'm using a 2hp motor to drive the belt, so I'm not worried about the increased resistance slowing down the belt.
Semper fi,
Brad

(02-11-2020, 03:30 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I build mainly small boxes.  Some of them are tall.  I'd like a bit more height on the belt to reach more surface at a time.  

I'm using a 2hp motor to drive the belt, so I'm not worried about the increased resistance slowing down the belt.

Grizzly sells a H4182 9" x 138-1/2" belt for their G9985 - 9" x 138-1/2" 3-Phase Industrial Oscillating Edge Sander. I doubt you will find anything shorter in a 9" but you might find a 60" long 20" wide belt sanding belt.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I would make the sander fit a common size belt.  easier to get for less money. a 6x80, 6x89 are common size belts. You could also go to a wide belt sander size and cut then to the width you like and get 2 or 3 out of one, but they are pricier belts. just saying think about it.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(02-11-2020, 03:30 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I build mainly small boxes.  Some of them are tall.  I'd like a bit more height on the belt to reach more surface at a time.  

Cool
Cool 

Just as well go 10" then if you have them cut to size.
And as others have said, check into the wide belt sander sizes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A minor update, but not much to show just yet: I'm designing around that 9x138 belt linked above. To compensate for some of that extra length, I'm making my rollers a lot wider, but also making my platen surface longer. I haven't figured out the exact length just yet, but I can modify it easily when I build the tensioning subsystem by making it longer or shorter, as needed.

I ordered a simple carriage and rail system from McMaster. High density carriages that slide on aluminum rails. Super simple, but surprisingly expensive for just two carriages and two rails: $120!.

Design continues!
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-03-2020, 11:07 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: A minor update, but not much to show just yet:  I'm designing around that 9x138 belt linked above.

Grizzly 6x80 belts are lap jointed. Better check to see if that 9x138 is lap jointed, If it is, you won't like it. it will bump every time it hits your boxes. butt joints make a big difference.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

(edit)

I called; it's a butt splice.
Semper fi,
Brad

Hey Brad any new updates??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.