Question about Dremel tools.
Chris

On EBay I get Carbide and Diamond bits all the time and will do a good job to with the Dremel tool I have.

If you need a link I will find you one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Start with a round head bolt of the size you need and a piece of flat steel you need for the wing. If necessary, use your Dremel with a cut off wheel to widen the slot in the bolt head just enough so that the wing just fits into it. Apply the proper flux to each piece. Place a small length of silver solder (equal to about the dia of the bolt head) into the slot and put the wing on top of it. Heat with MAPP or propane torch until the silver solder melts. You should end up with a very strong attachment needing little or no clean up.

Even if you use soft solder, it should be pretty strong. Just depends on how it will be used. Try one this way and see if it is strong enough. Maybe deepen the slot a bit to improve area of contact between the two pieces.
I would probably stick with the angle grinder. an abrasive grinding wheel for the rough work then switch to a 50 or 80 grit flap wheel for the beauty work.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
A dremel with a 1/2" sanding drum will work great on that. I got a bag full of 1/2" sanding drums from McMaster.  They work great on metal.  If you want to work a little slower, there are flap sanders for the dremel. Finish up with an abrasive buff.   I use the dremel whenever I can, I hate to file.  

Did this the other day.  The end of that tube was cut straight across.

[Image: 46948206005_b9d001b6bc_z.jpg]IMG_20190512_164006166 by unterhausen, on Flickr
With so many readily available commercial options for these thumb screws, I am wondering why you are making them yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1334&b...jl2jFH2Y2s

Sold in packages of 5 each in a variety of sizes from 14¢ each (probably in large quantities--they make you log in for actual pricing)
https://www.lawsonproducts.com/lawson/Th...gLWaPD_BwE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-14-2019, 12:11 PM)daddo Wrote: Below is a pic of my project. I need to make 10 of these.
 I need a way to finish shaping them, then polish them to look at least- nice.

The angle grinder is of course to big. Forget the bench grinder. The belt grinder won't get into the sides and insets. A file takes too long and is too rough.

Would the Dremel be the tool for this? For some reason I can't see the little sanding things it comes with lasting more than a few seconds, and buying 100 of them to throw away doesn't seem productive. Does Dremel make good grade carbide or HSS grinding bits for shaping metals?  Not too keen on spending a lot for something I'll use once a year or so.

Or should I just buddy up to the (takes forever) file?

[Image: Q5yRBLv.jpg]

Get a piece of all thread and cut it the length you need. Drill and tap a piece of brass , steel acetal or what eve you need for the wing. Red Loctite on the threads entering the wing. Snug the piece of all thread in a drill and taper the first thread by running the drill against a spinning grinding wheel or better yet a small sander like a 1 x 30 or 1 x 42. Takes longer to chuck up the all thread than to grind the thread. If you damage the thread then run a die over it. If you have a metal lathe this can be held in a chuck with a split coupling nut. The chuck jaws will close the coupler and firmly hold the all thread in place while you bevel it. If you use Acetal you can easily use a thick piece for the wing and cut the excess off for a grip. Bandsaw ,coping saw etc can cut most of the excess from the wing and a sanding stick will finish it.

mike
I buy here

Sometimes you just got to make it yourself.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

An or die grinder with a carbide burr would be best but a rotary tools Will also work with the same burrs. I have a b&d electric rotary tool that I have used a lot with a tee shaped burr to clean up welds on all kinds of steel projects
Thanks
Gary
Go ahead and buy the Dremel. It will work fine for you project. Plus, you'll find a thousand uses for it once you have it.
Also consider Northern Tools' own brand.  I've found that it is a good piece of equipment and very competitively priced:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/...tary-tools
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.