Question about Dremel tools.
(05-14-2019, 05:28 PM)Admiral Wrote: Dremels are lightweight tools. You might be better off going to a Harbor Freight and getting an air tool grinder and some bits.  A bench grinder, used judiciously with a vice grip, may also help with finishing off with a file.  A good mill file will also make short work of this if its sharp.

Dremels are lightweight tools. You might be better off going to a Harbor Freight and getting an air tool grinder and some bits.

This............You "could" do it but it is pushing the Dremel to it's limits.....A pneumatic die grinder with the "cone shaped" stones would be a better choice...provided you have a compressor of sufficient size..That's why I bought a Makita electric die grinder with a 1/4" collet a couple of years ago.

Instead, I would op for using a steel flat washer to fit in the slot of a round head bolt, silver solder it in, cut it in half, then "round over " to make "wings"..much less grinding would be involved.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-14-2019, 12:11 PM)daddo Wrote: >>>>  The angle grinder is of course to big. Forget the bench grinder.

Why is the angle grinder to big?  Is it too unwieldy?

I'd be experimenting with securing the angle grinder, effectively turning it into a bench grinder with a very narrow wheel.   Make a holder using a 3/8" nut, to give you a handle to hold the thumbscrew as you dress the welds.  It's much easier and safer to be manoeuvring a small handle than a cumbersome angle grinder.

For a really fine finish, I'd follow up with the little drum sander attachments that you can use in a Dremel or even just run in your drill press.   Even a good wire brush in the angle grinder will give you a lovely satin finish.  In fact, that would probably be my preferred method for final finishing.

Having said all that, I would prefer to use Willyou's plan of the slotted bolt and the silver solder.  If your fits are within small tolerances, the thin bead of silver solder would not be an aesthetic problem at all.  I'd even have a go at using the same method, but brazing instead of silver soldering, if cost is a factor.  Using the wing inside the slot means that one is not relying on the welds for strength, but only to secure the wing in the slot.  You are simply using the wing as a screwdriver. There will be some additional strength from the weld, but it is not the major contributor.   You could probably even just epoxy the wings into the slots.
I see Mcmaster carr has them for about $10 for 10
I'll get the little grinder next time.
I got them done using the mig welder as I originally started. A little more to remove than brazing but it's all the same color. 15% can give one a bronze color.
I took the time to file then finalize with the O sander.

I'd like them to be more perfect next time. I'm using two on the project I doing right now.