An improved leg vise
This is an accessory for a leg vise to prevent the chop racking. There are other ways to do this - a deck of playing cards is easier - but I wanted to build it in, and not have to look for an accessory. Your bench may offer the same opportunity.

This is the anti-racking at work ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

How is this done? Alongside the leg is a "depth stop" built from a screw. It can be adjusted for the desired length ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 1.jpg]

I designed and built this a few years ago. Rob Lee came to visit, and commented that the design needed extra reinforcement to prevent being bent back. He was correct, and I have now used angle sections to attach it to the leg. Solid as a rock ...

[Image: 6.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Great idea! Did you let in a piece of metal on the chop for the screw to land on?
(05-15-2019, 08:09 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Great idea! Did you let in a piece of metal on the chop for the screw to land on?

Yes.

[Image: 4.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I have used a slanted leg vise for over forty years. It avoids racking problems.
Interesting that, Warren. I did not know. Can you say/show more about this?

Regards from Perth

Derek
The leg is slanted so that the pin is about seven inches to the left of the screw (also about 24 inches below), so a board can be placed vertically (or horizontally) in the vise without it racking.
Thank you Warren.

I have not seen a slanted leg vise in use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
The idea is good. In my view, it is more practicable if you could use some kind of it a quick-release mechanism instead of a threaded screw. The threading is slow and quite a chore which you need to do when you use it as a spacer and when you don't need the spacer (for normal clamping).

Quick release -
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,41637

This kind of solution is what I prefer and use in my shop: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2013/06/...om-racking

Simon
(05-15-2019, 10:07 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The idea is good. In my view, it is more practicable if you could use some kind of it a quick-release mechanism instead of a threaded screw. The threading is slow and quite a chore which you need to do when you use it as a spacer and when you don't need the spacer (for normal clamping).

Quick release -
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,41637

This kind of solution is what I prefer and use in my shop: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2013/06/...om-racking

Simon

Simon, I agree that a quick-release mechanism would be better. I have not found anything that could be used (cheaply, that is). The depth stop is really only for the occasions when you use one side of the leg vise, which is not often. It is slower than a quick-release, but handy enough to keep.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hmmm, . . . Interesting. ... That would work well with "lots" of the same drawer you enjoy doing. Some people get better with routine the older they grow. Some find a different solution. And, others take care of the irritating detail parts. 

I'm still looking for a screw that won't screw me every time I walk into it. Of course, some can learn to avoid the contact. I think wood is one of the softer obstructions. How does wood work when you forget?