Oneida Dust Sentry
Good evening folks - my Oneida dust sentry recently stopped working.  Investigation revealed that the 4 wires from the bin sensor were no longer connectewd to anything.  I suspect that there was not not enough slack in the cable and the bin lid got inadvertenly dropped while emptying the bin and tore out the connections.  It appears from the limited information I can find that the cable from the sensor goes to the strobe light (along wth the output cable from the low voltage transformer.

Googling led me to past threads on smc tha contained a wiring diagram for a DIY version but, not being a memeber over there, I cannot view the images.  I wondering  if anyone has a wiring schematic for the Oneida version of the dust sentry.

Thanks
Rick

(05-15-2019, 06:58 PM)Rick_B Wrote: Good evening folks - my Oneida dust sentry recently stopped working.  Investigation revealed that the 4 wires from the bin sensor were no longer connectewd to anything.  I suspect that there was not not enough slack in the cable and the bin lid got inadvertenly dropped while emptying the bin and tore out the connections.  It appears from the limited information I can find that the cable from the sensor goes to the strobe light (along wth the output cable from the low voltage transformer.

Googling led me to past threads on smc tha contained a wiring diagram for a DIY version but, not being a memeber over there, I cannot view the images.  I wondering  if anyone has a wiring schematic for the Oneida version of the dust sentry.

Thanks

Did you email Oneida? I bet they could help you out....they have always been helpful to me.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I have one, I'll look and see what was provided regarding the wiring later when I'm in the shop.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Packerguy - I did email Oneida - I'm just imatient I guess :
Smile

Fred - thanks

If nothing else develos and I don't hear from Oneida  I'll give them a call.
Rick

So with no responses i decided to dig deeper into this.  The components of this mechanism are
1.  24 volt DC power supply which  operates off of a 110 input.  The output is a black and Black with Grey Stripe set of wires
2.  24 volt strobe light with red and black wires
3.  A Banner QS18VP6D proximity sensor with 4 wires (blue, white, brown and black)

All wire connections are done inside a plastic box which the strobe light attaches to.  Here is a photo of the connection box

Right now the black wire from the DC power supply is connected to the black from the strobe.  The red from the strobe has no connection - but there is a connector on it.

The black with grey strip from the power supply also has no wire connected but it soes have a connector.  The remaining wires are from the proximity sensor.

Here is the wiring diagram from the banner web site for this sensor

The color key is 
1 - brown
2 - white
3 - blue
4 - black

Problem is I don't know how to read the diagram so if anyone can open there dust sentry connection box and check the wiring or give me a little guidance on the correct connections I would appreciate it.  Just a note that my understanding is that a change was made to the sensor at some point.  I think they went to an NPN output (mine is a PNP).  In the NPN the 1 and 3 wires are reversed.

Thanks
Rick

Well - Problem resolved.  In the event someone else has this problem and canLt find any help/information - here is a link to a thread that clearly answers the question

https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.ph...elp.67358/

Rick
Rick

Good stuff. I have one of these and it has functioned perfectly since I had installed it. Hopefully, I'll never have to use this info.

But then again, I just jinxed myself so..........................
I did look at mine when this first showed up, but the papers that came with it had no info at all about the wiring. I intended to take a look under the cover, but then the storms hit our area and I haven't got much done. Sorry, but I am glad you got it figured out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-01-2019, 07:32 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I did look at mine when this first showed up, but the papers that came with it had no info at all about the wiring. I intended to take a look under the cover, but then the storms hit our area and I haven't got much done. Sorry, but I am glad you got it figured out.

No problem Fred - I figured you had more important things going on.  Oneida never did respond to me.

Rick
Rick