Dust Collection Expert Question...
I've got a Laguna C/Flux 2 DC.  Lots of suction, but when I plane and joint, I get lots of shavings after the filter, causing the small bag to fill up.  My suspicion is that I might be getting air leakage at the joint between cyclone and bin.  Other than that, I'm stumped.  I'm not looking to bash the DC, but rather, find a solution.  Thanks for the help.
when I was getting a bunch of stuff in my cyclone filters, I had a leak in the cyclone.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

It's almost always a leak somewhere in the dust bin/connection. You can check for leaks with it running using smoke, but I use a downy duck feather I got somewhere. The little fluffs move with the slightest of air movement and it's a lot easier. Whe I used smoke I used a cigar, which kind of had the shop smelling for several days.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-17-2019, 12:23 PM)fredhargis Wrote: It's almost always a leak somewhere in the dust bin/connection. You can check for leaks with it running using smoke, but I use a downy duck feather I got somewhere. The little fluffs move with the slightest of air movement and it's a lot easier. Whe I used smoke I used a cigar, which kind of had the shop smelling for several days.

So this machine calls for a bag to be used in the main bin, so that's what I use.  Do you think the crinkled bag at the top could cause leaks?  I suppose I could seal all the joints in the multi-piece bin and not use a bag.  What do you think?
I'm no expert; over the winter I transformed my standard Harbor Freight DC into a cyclone with standard parts.  That's my sole experience. 

I, too, had excessive shavings getting past the cyclone, through the impeller and into the collection bag under the Wynn Filter.  Like you, I suspected leakage from the collection barrel under the cyclone.  I tightened and sealed those joints the best I could.  My biggest leak was a loose 6" duct fitting.  I added some duct tape to the inner joint and then refastened everything.  Very little in the way of shavings makes it past the cyclone to the impeller now.
(05-17-2019, 04:39 PM)darita Wrote: So this machine calls for a bag to be used in the main bin, so that's what I use.  Do you think the crinkled bag at the top could cause leaks?  I suppose I could seal all the joints in the multi-piece bin and not use a bag.  What do you think?

I think it's possible, and you should try it without the bag...see how things go. But consider other areas as potential leaks as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I am a proud owner of a C-Flux, the finest cyclone that is also short enough to be rolled out of my garage door. There is an anti-scavenging plate in the bottom of the Styrofoam. It is completely unmentioned in the instructions, which make Ikea instructions read like Hemmingway's short, declarative prose. It mounts to the bolts that keep the bin lid attached to the cyclone flange. Keeps the vacuum from pulling chips up out of the bin by breaking up the airflow. Where my filter bag used to fill quickly when planning, now it stays chip free until I’ve forgotten to empty the bag. Might be a good start to see if yours is in place. If not, I believe Laguna will send you one for free if you call them.

[Image: laguna05.JPG]
[Image: laguna06.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!