Track marks with shelix in DW735
I know everyone is going to disagree with me but it is okay. Being a tool and die maker by trade I have had a lot of experience inserted cutters and no matter how expensive or good the cutters were supposed to be the finish always should insert tracks in steel. Even carbide end mills with oddset groves in them leave their tail tale marks. The inserted cutters are great for roughing but when one has to have a really good finish it was done with an end mill.

From experience even with repetitive cuts the size will very and I have seen parts go out of tolerance if a door is opened here in Iowa at certain times of the year. And the only way that an inserted cutterhead can work as a lot of you think is if every pocket and insert is perfect and torked to the correct pressure. And there is no such thing as perfect. Machine temperatures and coolant temperatures change when I person even goes to lunch.let alone to the restroom.

The fishers may not show up in wood as readily as when cutting metal but they are there. Which is the reason for this post in the first place. They are showing up because if the error factor in the machining process.

Also from the limited experience I have had from inserted cutters on a jointer I find the because carbide can not be sharpened as sharp as High speed steel it take more pressure to pass wood over the carbide cutter head. If the board is bowed or cupped and it takes more pressure for it to pass over the cutter head on has less chance of it being truly flat.  Your hand are doing the same thing that the pressure rollers are doing on the thickness planner. And the feed pressure both down and across the jointers cutter head is applied by hand even if paddles are used so it is not a safety issue to be jumped on by some.

There are several advantages to insert cutter heads but finish is not one of them and just for the record dull or nicked high speed blades are just as bad or worse  so either

1. one keeps sharp knives in the cutter head  or lives with the poor results
2. decides to live with the extra time it takes to keep the cutters in good working order.
3. or decides to buy a jointer with an insert cutter head or replace the cutter head with an inserted one.
4. whether or not you see them  or whether or not you feel them is a moot point because the divots are still there and poor rough in bleeds into the finish. 

And a POOR  finish is the reason for this post in the first place

And I feel bad for the original poster who spent a lot of money trying to better his machine  and didn't achieve it.

Tom