HVAC R22 or R410a?
Sometimes 13 years is not that old. My outdoor unit is 22 years.
It helps that you are a top notch technician  
Cool
I have a 8000 BTU window unit that is only a few years old and has seen little use.  

If the existing central unit has trouble keeping up I was thinking about putting the window unit in the bonus room.  The room is probably 275 sq ft.

Would this work?
(05-28-2019, 06:47 PM)Chuck in NC Wrote: I have a 8000 BTU window unit that is only a few years old and has seen little use.  

If the existing central unit has trouble keeping up I was thinking about putting the window unit in the bonus room.  The room is probably 275 sq ft.

Would this work?

That’s what I do in our upstairs master bedroom with a single zone system for the whole house.  Even with duct booster blowers, which help, the downstairs thermostat doesn’t know what’s going on in the upstairs, and it’s always warmer up there.  I used to step the temperature down one degree ever couple of hours to keep the rooms fresh (continuous running blower didn’t help), but with nobody left but us old chickens, I use a little 5k BTU window unit for sleeping and leave the main system thermostat at 74 all the time.  Works a treat.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(05-28-2019, 06:47 PM)Chuck in NC Wrote: I have a 8000 BTU window unit that is only a few years old and has seen little use.  

Would this work?

It should take the edge off that room.  Depending on the ductwork, you may be able to close the registers in that room and allow the main unit to just deal with the rest of the house.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.