Patent date?
The nuts are surely slotted. It's the bolt that gets slotted too in the Washburn patents, and that we can't see from the first picture. From the new photos, it appears that the bolts are not slotted at all, and fall outside either Washburn patent. Presumably when removed, they have square bosses under the head to prevent rotation. That appears to be the case, although the photo showing the one removed bolt isn't as clear as one might like.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
1867 makes a lot more sense in regard to the split-nut transitioning to a slotted screw (i.e., commonly know today as a Chicago Screw) right around 1881 which Steve mentioned earlier.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
1867....no slots on the screw to be found.....was barely any "square" shoulders under the head of the bolt.   More like ribs.

Also, when the handle came of...between the bottom two holes, there was a  large  "C" stamped into the plate.   The "6" stamp is almost into a tooth.

Tooth line is a tad wavy....not side to side, but up and down....
No

hang of the handle feels a bit low, to me..

but seems to work for rip cuts..

Plate does have an intact nib, too.....have given the plate a rub down with 3in1 oil, to keep the rust bunnies away.   handle has 3 coats of Amber Shellac.

I have a Disston No. 7....with those same split nuts...will have to redo the slots, before I can remove those bolts.   handle has a split right where the medallion is....Medallion is the older sunken style...

Medallion  says Henry Disston above an eagle..

Slots need opened up, though...

Dremel and a milling cutter? 
handle would look better, if that crack was fixed.     Nib was broken off long ago.  

may see about fixing this saw up....after all the Honey-does are done...plate does have a bit of an etch...

Attached Files Image(s)

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
In order to access  the Disston slots a bit better...needed a power tool..
Rolleyes 

Dremel with a small cutter....lets the screwdriver grab a bit better...

Didn't see any Patent dates, though....did see square shanks
Cool

At least this saw has a medallion.  

Handle does have 2 splits...second one is under the friction tape at the bottom of the handle..

After gently removing the handle....found this  "J" stamp....plate does have an etch..
Cool  

HENRY DISSTON...
Cool   Seems to be a No. 7.....looks to be a 10 pointer, too.  Nib was long gone, though. 

trying to decide how to fix the handle.....
(05-21-2019, 09:57 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: If you take a look at my post (above), you'll see that the patent was awarded to Washbourne, not Disston.
Disston is one of the manufacturers, along with Richardson, Flint and Harvey Peace.

You are correct.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
So....why would Disston add that "J" stamp to the plate, in an area that can't be seen, with the handle installed?
Confused
Speaking of handles.....this Disston one needs a little repair work..
Rolleyes 

That is NOT a lamb's Tongue, that is a crack..
No

I removed the old cloth friction tape..
Uhoh

Surprised it didn't run away...part of the handle felt "loose"...
Confused  

Hmmmm....
Rolleyes 

"Ve haft werk..."   Need to repair these cracks....rather than some out -of-place looking new handle.   Then try to refinish or at least clean the old finish up.  maybe some Murphy's Oil Soap?   Plate is cleaned up....brass has been polished up.....needs a sharpening, by someone who can actually SEE them tiny teeth ...

may or may not add the nib...as the old one was broken off, long ago.
Ok..picked up a 2-part epoxy, yesterday.....along with a jug of Murphy's Oil Soap.    need to read the instructions on the epoxy, and figure out the application routine, and clamping.  
Rolleyes   Oil Soap is to clean the handle up....wondering IF I should do that first, or, after the "glue-up" is done. 
Confused

Will try to polish the plate a bit more....not sure IF I can see those tiny teeth well enough to attempt a sharpening.
Confused   may try to "revive" the nib, as the old one is long gone.  
No
(05-25-2019, 11:39 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Ok..picked up a 2-part epoxy, yesterday.....along with a jug of Murphy's Oil Soap.    need to read the instructions on the epoxy, and figure out the application routine, and clamping.  
Rolleyes   Oil Soap is to clean the handle up....wondering IF I should do that first, or, after the "glue-up" is done. 
Confused

Will try to polish the plate a bit more....not sure IF I can see those tiny teeth well enough to attempt a sharpening.
Confused   may try to "revive" the nib, as the old one is long gone.  
No

I'd say glue up with the epoxy before oil soap: the oil soap may be a barrier to epoxy bonding if it gets into any of the cracks. Might act like waxing the joint before glue. Better safe than sorry.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(05-23-2019, 09:01 PM)bandit571 Wrote: That is NOT a lamb's Tongue, that is a crack..
No
Indeed it is not. A lamb's tongue would require some hand work on the handle, and why you don't find any lamb's tongues on Disston saws. The lamb's tongue is a carving term.
Yes

Disston's handles were mostly done on machines, aside from the REALLY old ones. Probably the best value in a saw well into the 20th century, XLNT quality steel, it is why they became so popular. Just not a company that would even put a lamb's tongue on their tool. I have seen a few American saws that had a lamb's tongue, but Disston bought most of the competing companies, and that's the last the world saw of them (hey, a pun!). Wheeler, Madden & Clemson comes to mind.

Cheers,
Alan