Patent date?
(05-25-2019, 04:28 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Indeed it is not. A lamb's tongue would require some hand work on the handle, and why you don't find any lamb's tongues on Disston saws. The lamb's tongue is a carving term.
Yes

Disston's handles were mostly done on machines, aside from the REALLY old ones.  Probably the best value in a saw well into the 20th century, XLNT quality steel, it is why they became so popular. Just not a company that would even put a lamb's tongue on their tool. I have seen a few American saws that had a lamb's tongue, but Disston bought most of the competing companies, and that's the last the world saw of them (hey, a pun!). Wheeler, Madden & Clemson comes to mind.

Cheers,
Alan

Actually, 7s and 8s were made well into the 20th century ('20s) and had LTs.  Bandit's saw is mid 19th century, that's really old.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Here we go...two saws have been cleaned up...the "rip saw" has even been sharpened....stamped as a 6 pointer..
Cool 

Disston No. 7 handle has been repaired...
Cool 

Both saws seem to be from before 1870..

Will need to find a way to sharpen the Disston No.7's .....them are tiny teeth...10ppi..
Rolleyes

So...now have both a Rip and a Crosscut....not too bad..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(05-27-2019, 09:01 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Both saws seem to be from before 1870..

Check out the medallion study linked below, methinks the Disston is circa 1850, cant judge from the one pic of the medallion I saw:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html
(05-27-2019, 10:01 AM)Admiral Wrote: Check out the medallion study linked below, methinks the Disston is circa 1950, cant judge from the one pic of the medallion I saw:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you meant to type "1850".
(05-28-2019, 12:34 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you meant to type "1850".

Yup, fixed.....
(05-25-2019, 06:02 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, 7s and 8s were made well into the 20th century ('20s) and had LTs.  Bandit's saw is mid 19th century, that's really old.....
I've only seen what looks like a pseudo LT on any Disston saws. AFAIK, they didn't do any hand work on the handles, only machines and your limited to what can be done on a machine.

Do you have any pics?

PS - I only own a couple full size handsaws, both are Disston, but no lamb's tongue on them. I'd like to see what you call a lamb's tongue on a Disston saw though, I don't think I've seen any pronounced LTs. My favorite Disston saws are the 68/69/70 dovetail saws.

Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Ok..here ya go...happen to have a pair of pre-1928 No. 7 handsaw by disston..complete with nibs..

AFTER the big line up changes in 1928..handles were changed, nib were gone, No. 7  became D-7...

Lamb's Tongue....

Nothing "fake" about these two.   Plus, ya can come and look at them anytime ya see fit.   

So...around 1850 for the older No.7?    And sometime after 1867 for the rip saw.....sound about right?  Some of the farmers around here, took better care of the old saws....too frugal to buy a new one.
(05-28-2019, 12:25 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I've only seen what looks like a pseudo LT on any Disston saws. AFAIK, they didn't do any hand work on the handles, only machines and your limited to what can be done on a machine.

Do you have any pics?

PS - I only own a couple full size handsaws, both are Disston, but no lamb's tongue on them. I'd like to see what you call a lamb's tongue on a Disston saw though, I don't think I've seen any pronounced LTs. My favorite Disston saws are the 68/69/70 dovetail saws.

Here's a flickr album of one I sold a while back to a lucky woodnetter.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...4691857773
Patent dates?
Confused 

Think Stanley ran out of room?
Rolleyes 
Mitre box arrive here the other day....mainly in a box filled with sandwich baggies, filled with parts...
Uhoh  

From just one of the baggies....about 95% complete....just have to find out what part goes where..
(05-28-2019, 06:56 PM)Admiral Wrote: Here's a flickr album of one I sold a while back to a lucky woodnetter.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...4691857773

Those #70's are really rare...I sold one in mint condition about ten years ago, to a woodnetter that no longer posts here {last name Cohen IIRC} out of southern New York state. They are sweet, but I would not use one in really good condition because of their rarity. There are too many lesser saws out there and I am all for preserving the rare tools.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset