Patent date?
(05-28-2019, 02:02 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Lamb's Tongue....

Ok, I guess you could call that a lamb's tongue, if the lamb was having an epileptic seizure.

(05-28-2019, 02:02 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Nothing "fake" about these two.   Plus, ya can come and look at them anytime ya see fit.   

So...around 1850 for the older No.7?    And sometime after 1867 for the rip saw.....sound about right?  Some of the farmers around here, took better care of the old saws....too frugal to buy a new one.
That was my point though...if you look at it, there is very little craftsmanship in the lamb's tongue, since for the most part they didn't handcraft the handles. I do have a backsaw that is an old Disston that has a kinda-sorta lamb's tongue on it also.

Not dissing Disston, he made good quality saws with XLNT quality steel on the blades, just that handcrafting wasn't a word synonymous with Disston, IMO. (we all have our own)

Cheers,
Alan
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-29-2019, 11:35 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Those #70's are really rare...I sold one in mint condition about ten years ago, to a woodnetter that no longer posts here {last name Cohen IIRC} out of southern New York state. They are sweet, but I would not use one in really good condition because of their rarity. There are too many lesser saws  out there and I am all for preserving the rare tools.
Yes, they're hard to find. I think I own 4 of them. I would guess that 3 of them were purchased on ebay, where the seller didn't have any clue what the saw was. You have to get familiar with the smaller handle, the small style nuts used on them, the brass plated back (and nuts) that would have the brass wear off, etc...but mainly the size/dimensions, these were smaller and had thinner plates on them that were more suitable for dovetail and/or intricate joinery.

They are my favorite Disston saws. I have a real attraction for the 68 also, bought my first one from WaltQ, and I highly recommend a gent's saw as a first saw for people, they are very handy saws.

I only have one 71, that's the flush cut.

Cheers,
Alan
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
This thing arrived today...cost me a whopping $1 bill...
Rolleyes 

Needs a good soaking in the de-rust stuff...
has a Disston etch on the spine....might have an etch on the plate, too 
Need to either repair, or replace the handle.....4 bolt, 5" x 28" No. 4 mitre saw....medallion is a Disston one...what I can read of the plate's etch....

GOODELL PRATT.....need to scrub it down a bit....At least it should fit a #358 sized mitre box....
Winkgrin

Edit to add:

Etch reads:

made expressly for
GOODELL PRATT COMPANY
(in script) Toolsmiths
Greenfield MA.  USA

Medallion:   Disston
              *  keystone*
                  PHILA
Hmmmm...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I let you two nit-pick all you want, some other time.
Upset ....Trying to rehab that Stanley No. 358 at the moment....
Rolleyes

Managed to get the swing arm off the frame....after a long soak in PBBlaster...a BIG screwdriver with a large pair of visegrips as a cheater bar....king bolt was rusted in place
Mad  

Got the frame all dried off, and gave it a paint job..Rustoleum Black...
Cool 

Hauled the swing arm to the shop, and took it apart...then cleaned the parts up..

Got the "barrel" parts out, after this photo...

Swing arm, minus all the parts, is sitting outside, waiting on paint to dry. 
Have the guides all cleaned up...
Cool 

Have also trimmed down a Pine 1/2" thick board to serve as a new "deck"...

Once I make the new stock holders, I can add the dados for them to ride in. 

Ground a weld bead down...the "3" is because this is a No. 3 frame. 
Awaiting parts that are missing...mainly some bolts, and another block to attach the guides to the arm.

may need a second one, as the tilt adjust screw is stuck fast...head is strpped off.

I do have a saw for this box, and a second one on the way....
Stay tuned..
Mitre box is from between 1912 and 1929....getting ready to do the re-assembly stuff...later.
have the dis-assembled swing arm painted...
Cool

Lever was given the red edges..
Winkgrin

better view of the new deck..
Winkgrin

Picked up a small tube of grease, today...need to start putting all of these parts...
Rolleyes

Back into where they belong...fresh grease for the parts that need it...
Cool

have these parts about ready, too....awaiting a few other parts to arrive.  
Rolleyes

Picked up a pair of bolts, and a length of flat bar stock.....to make a pair of the stock holders...then cut a pair of shallow dados in the deck board...

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Today's tasks were to take all these parts..

Apply some grease where called for, and slowly put them all back together....in the order, directions, and adjust to the frame..

Adjust so the arm will engage the quadrant as needed...then add the King bolt and it's slip-fit collar...
Cool

Once the arm is adjusted, not too tight, not too sloppy, I can add the degree pointer...

Since I couldn't attach the swing arm with it in place..

Couldn't get past these two bolts sticking up.  
Cool 

Stay tuned, more to come, when I get back from an errand or two
Winkgrin
Checked on how the saw guides will go back together...front one is almost complete

However, the back one is a work in progress...
Rolleyes

parts are on the way, though...decided to attach the new deck...there are 12 tiny wood screws to install...had to use a pilot hole drill, and a screwdriver
Rolleyes 

One Yankee to drill, one Yankee to drive the screws..even "clocked" the slots..
Cool  

Then cut some flat bar stock ( and found all 3 of my hacksaws have DULL blades?
Upset ) to make stock holders..

Which I need to drill and tap for that bolt.....the cut the excess off, and the hex head.   Pean the bolt into place...also laid out for the dados these ride in..
Cool

So the bar rides flush with the top of the deck.   There are two other "stock holders", that keep the board from sliding side to side..
Cool 

These two thread in from the back of the fence, until the points poke through...

Wondering IF  Stanley painted, or finished their deck boards on these?
Stay tuned..
Apparently, Stanley did stain/paint the wood decks on these......kind of an orange/red flavour?   Might go for a little different shade, as this is a replacement deck..
After the 3 Bishop's jigs were done..
Rolleyes 

(reloader jig...Navy Colt,  cap & ball)

It was time for a bit of metal working....The stock rest/holders  needed drilled and tapped...
Winkgrin 

First drill bit was ....DULL...second bit cut the steel like butter, amazing when the bit IS sharp..tap wrench was MIA, visegrips wasn't getting it done..
No  

Chucked the tap into that 6" sweep Stanley brace..worked like a charm.   Old Tappett wrench to run the bolts all the way in...TIGHT.  
Winkgrin  

Old Great Neck hacksaw, brand new blade....excess threads were cut off.   Grinder to polish the rest down flush with the bottom of the bar...then come back and saw the hex head off....grinder to smooth the cuts, and round the top of the "post" a bit..
Cool  

Didn't take too long....still need to cut 2 dados, for these two holders to slide in, flush with the top of the deck...

Was a busy afternoon...
Winkgrin