Identify Oneida cyclone
(05-24-2019, 06:08 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Since the motor will be high up, being mounted on top of the unit, why not just drop a length of cord or flex conduit from the ceiling to the motor, and not disturb any existing drywall?

Thanks, Tom - we're going to do exactly that.  Even better, there will be a duct going down to the jointer, which happens to be next to the electrical panel, so we can run a conduit up the wall next to the duct where it won't even show, then along the top of the wall a few feet, and then down to the DC.
(05-24-2019, 06:08 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Probably not, though a 3-phase may be able to absorb more start cycles, since there are no moving parts other than the rotor.

Since the motor will be high up, being mounted on top of the unit, why not just drop a length of cord or flex conduit from the ceiling to the motor, and not disturb any existing drywall?

Tom, I just gave another gentle tap on the blower with a bigger hammer, and it turns freely now.  It hasn't been powered up, but I don't hear anything when I turn it by hand. Do you think there's any concern about the bearings?
(05-28-2019, 10:02 AM)tedrussell Wrote: Tom, I just gave another gentle tap on the blower with a bigger hammer, and it turns freely now.  It hasn't been powered up, but I don't hear anything when I turn it by hand. Do you think there's any concern about the bearings?

If it were me, I’d pop it open and take a look at the internals.  Either the bearings are dried and were stuck, or they’re rusty, or there’s rust inside and the rotor was bound against the stator (very small clearance there), or something else like dust under the impeller turned to glue.  While I would normally just run something that didn’t seem like it had real problems, you have to assemble that thing with the motor on top, and that won’t be easy.  I almost killed myself putting my 2 hp blower on top of my cyclone, without help (not smart).  

Taking it back apart to work on it later, after it’s in place and wired, will be a lot more work than cracking it open now and replacing a few bucks worth of bearings or cleaning up a little internal rust.  Maybe start with pulling the motor fan under its shroud - could be there was just some goop under it that hardened from sitting in a damp shed.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
For the filtering the output air, you might also consider some industrial folded paper sub-micron filter Cartridges.  

I've had these for fifteen years or so, and one problem is that with them laying flat, fine dust collects in the bottom, and pulling them for cleaning is a real pain.   Once vertical, they can be easily cleaned with a few taps around the outside, and blasting them with compressed air, again from the outside, not unlike how you would clean the cartridge filters in your vacuum cleaner.

This summer I'm going to move the cyclone over a couple feet and stand the two filters vertically and fashion a pull out dust tray at the bottom for easy dust disposal.

[Image: DustCycloneBlowrFltr-L.jpg]