LA jack plane veritas vs LN?
(05-21-2019, 01:23 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It is quite a stretch to suggest a WR or a #62 being a premium plane, which is what the OP is looking to buy. They may function similarly, but they are not in the same class.

Simon

The WR LA jack has a premium price. About 222.00 bucks.  Almost the same price as LN/LV. Wouldn't make sense to me.
(05-21-2019, 12:42 PM)Admiral Wrote: For what its worth, I've owned both (as well as a vintage Stanley #62), kept the LV, sold the LN.  Both are excellent and you really can't do wrong with either, but the "extras" you mentioned were the precise reasons I kept the LV.

+1 to the points Admiral made.  I've had a Veritas for a few years now and it is my favorite plane.  Unless you just like the LN why not get the plane with more features if the price is similar?  Also, most of the Veritas planes use the same blade so it's easy to swap different angle blades among them.  I've let a couple of friends use mine that are long time Stanley users and they were very impressed.  I personally think that the LV and LN planes are a step up from the Stanleys that I have seen and used.

Lonnie
(05-21-2019, 12:56 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: P.S. I just reads Admiral's reply. Looks like we're at odds over this one. His actual experience with both planes may tip the scales in favor of the LV plane. I think it's probably a toss up and still believe it boils down to a subjective choice.

Oh, heartily agree, its totally subjective, purely user preference, both are great tools (and better than the vintage version).  Oh, and to add, I bought all three LAJs on the secondary market whilst tool hunting, "pre-owned" as they say, so I'm lucky to have had the luxury of being able to use 'em for a while and then sell off the ones that don't make it into my plane till.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-21-2019, 01:44 PM)Ricky Wrote: The WR LA jack has a premium price. About 222.00 bucks.  Almost the same price as LN/LV. Wouldn't make sense to me.

A WR marking gauge (like its planes, made in China) is about $45, Veritas (Canadian) $35. Pricing alone does not tell the whole story, and it can be a tool used partly to boast a product's standing.

Simon
(05-21-2019, 12:04 PM)Ricky Wrote: Just noticed LV has the free shipping offer up again.  Tempted to buy my first premium plane.  (except for the LN block I bought almost 20 years ago).  The  LV and LN are priced about the same.
I prefer the aesthetics of the LN, plus the fact that it is a relatively local company, here in New England.
Seems the LV has a few extras, such as the norris style adjuster, the side set screws and the mouth adjustment set screw which supposedly also protects the blade edge from banging against the mouth. Also it has a wider blade than the LN.
I guess I probably just talked myself into it.
Laugh  
Your opinions appreciated.

You might post where you live.  I'm sure there are some members that would be glad to let you take a test drive.

Lonnie
(05-21-2019, 02:04 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: A WR marking gauge (like its planes, made in China) is about $45, Veritas (Canadian) $35. Pricing alone does not tell the whole story, and it can be a tool used partly to boast a product's standing.

Simon

It's probably the cheapest of the " premium" options abroad, where LN/LV might be too expensive.  Just guessing though.
From a bevel up jack plane perspective, this is one case where Veritas wins over LN, IMO. I've owned the Veritas LAJ for years and it's never failed me. I have three different blades all honed to different bevel angles to handle most any task I throw at it. It also makes a marvelous shooting plane. Has the heft and inertia to power through end grain with ease when shooting, and straight sides as well. I bought a PM-V11 blade for it and shooting end grain the surface comes out shiny. If you have the cash, get the PM-V11 blade. You won't regret it. The adjuster is better than LN's and it has almost 1 lb. more mass to it. Mass is your friend (most of the time) with a jack plane.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ok, I am not following this conversation well. Or, something is outta wack.

You want a low angle jack plane. New are made by various companies and range from $100 to over $225. In all cases they are basically the same thing, a Stanley #62. None of them finish (smooth) plane very well, without a lot of fussing. A lot! I think the die-hards give them points for end grain shaving, like low angle block planes.

Now, think about the numbers of 62's floating around from the dark ages. If they were so flipping good why don't we see more? Rest my case.

Buy some nice wood and beaver away.
(05-21-2019, 02:18 PM)AHill Wrote: From a bevel up jack plane perspective, this is one case where Veritas wins over LN, IMO.  I've owned the Veritas LAJ for years and it's never failed me.  I have three different blades all honed to different bevel angles to handle most any task I throw at it.  It also makes a marvelous shooting plane.  Has the heft and inertia to power through end grain with ease when shooting, and straight sides as well.  I bought a PM-V11 blade for it and shooting end grain the surface comes out shiny.  If you have the cash, get the PM-V11 blade.  You won't regret it.  The adjuster is better than LN's and it has almost 1 lb. more mass to it.  Mass is your friend (most of the time) with a jack plane.

Good points! Go Shoot!
(05-21-2019, 02:18 PM)AHill Wrote: Mass is your friend (most of the time) with a jack plane.

A feature that is often missed or seldom pointed out of the Veritas low angle is the finger recess on each side that makes the plane a good shooter.

If your edge is wicked sharp, it is as good a smoother as any #4, #41/2 etc. The wood doesn't care whether your plane is bevel up or bevel down as long as the angle of attack and the sharpness of the blade are the same. How do I know? My work shows it (I switch blades on my low angle jack depending on grain...so do have some higher angle blades for your jack).

Simon