She's Still Standing
(05-24-2019, 09:07 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Stwood ------- Looks like all the previous scaffolding up on top has been replaced.

I think I read somewhere that the heat from the fire weakened the original scaffolding. Don't quote me.

Yes, I would imagine the heat damaged all of it.
I wonder how many semi loads of scaffolding are up there..........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'll be there in a week with my family (first international trip for my kids). How close did they allow you to get (if at all) to ND? My wife and I went there in 2010 and walked through and was heart-broken that my kids won't be able to. Can visitors at least visit the outside plaza in front of the cathedral, etc?

Matt
(05-28-2019, 01:33 PM)mpm3 Wrote: I'll be there in a week with my family (first international trip for my kids). How close did they allow you to get (if at all) to ND? My wife and I went there in 2010 and walked through and was heart-broken that my kids won't be able to. Can visitors at least visit the outside plaza in front of the cathedral, etc?

Matt

Matt, sorry, but I really don't know if you can get as close as the plaza out front; but I doubt it.  You can see the fencing all around the backside in my first photo.  I didn't try to venture onto the island she sits on, even though I had wanted to go see the much smaller church just across from the front of ND.  Somehow, I had already walked by it before I remembered.  Sorry I couldn't give you a real answer.  I suspect you'll find the answer to your question if you ask on social media, or maybe there is a ND website that gives some info..  A boat ride is probably your best bet if you can't access the plaza out front.  

No matter, have a great trip.  There is so much to see in and around Paris that your kids will be awe struck regardless.  

John
No problems, thanks for the info. I'm going to share your writeup and photos with my wife so she has a heads up for what to expect.

Matt
(05-24-2019, 09:07 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Stwood ------- Looks like all the previous scaffolding up on top has been replaced.

I think I read somewhere that the heat from the fire weakened the original scaffolding. Don't quote me.

I am sure even the possibility-potential of heat damage has rendered the scaffolding unusable.

When architectural plans are approved for wooden structures, all the steel beams and posts had to be visibly identified for fire department use. This was in my time preparing plans. Whereas a wooden cinder will support an amazing load in position, steel in the same function will warp and buckle. Fire departments did not like a mix of steel and wood in structures.
Read an article where experts are saying it isn't structurally safe to restore. It should be completely rebuilt.