Anybody else have a clover lawn (whole or part)?
(03-23-2021, 01:39 AM)StephenShort Wrote: An irrigation system would be great!

Another thread from 2019
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(05-24-2019, 08:40 AM)FS7 Wrote: The bunnies love it too, though living in the woods with plenty of foxes and coyotes the only bunny that gets to enjoy it is mine when I bring him outside.

A neighbor's child got a pet bunny for easter a few years ago, took it outside and a red-tailed hawk swooped down and bye-bye bunny.  Poor kid watched it happen.  We have several hawks that hang around, I've seen them take chipmunks too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I started seeding clover in bare spots at the shop.  My goal is less mowing!!!  It is looking good so far.
(08-11-2021, 12:45 PM)vesteronys Wrote: I use artificial turf in my apartment, as I really like it.

SPAMMER
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
For a while, I also had a clover lawn. I agree that it has many advantages; however, if you have children, it is impractical since the roots of clover are not tenacious.
A friend advised me to replace it. For a long time, I could not decide what to replace my lawn with. But in the end, I decided to choose a high-quality artificial lawn from itsartificialgrass.com. They have good material and professional installation with maintenance.
Although the clover lawn certainly looked much more interesting. I think I'll make myself a garden where I'll plant it.
the power is in the truth
Cool
I love the clover for all the reasons you mention.  During the "Dog days of summer," it is the only thing that stays green. 

Bill B
(08-27-2021, 06:46 AM)Bill Bob Wrote: I love the clover for all the reasons you mention.  During the "Dog days of summer," it is the only thing that stays green. 

Bill B

I agree, and while it's been years since I started this thread I continue to do lawn maintenance with no weed killer whatsoever (if nature and this area's climate wants to grow here, it can) and a mix of perennial ryegrass and clover. I have a few bare spots on sloped areas of high drainage (usually rain washes away soil and seed far too easily) but the rest is good and green.

Under heavy use, it does wear poorly. We entertain a few times a year, mostly in the summer, and during lawn games heavy foot traffic will wear out certain areas. They do rebound quickly (about a month), with or without treatment, so it ends up being a relatively minor gripe. Normal walking, yard work, the riding mower, all of that - doesn't really affect it.
(08-27-2021, 08:17 AM)FS7 Wrote: I agree, and while it's been years since I started this thread I continue to do lawn maintenance with no weed killer whatsoever (if nature and this area's climate wants to grow here, it can) and a mix of perennial ryegrass and clover. I have a few bare spots on sloped areas of high drainage (usually rain washes away soil and seed far too easily) but the rest is good and green.

Under heavy use, it does wear poorly. We entertain a few times a year, mostly in the summer, and during lawn games heavy foot traffic will wear out certain areas. They do rebound quickly (about a month), with or without treatment, so it ends up being a relatively minor gripe. Normal walking, yard work, the riding mower, all of that - doesn't really affect it.

Clover is a legume same as alfalfa  It stays green due to the roots grow down looking for moisture, the roots on other grass types will turn around and look to the surface for moisture.  That is why they dry out without water from hose or rain.
Bill b
(11-22-2021, 12:05 PM)hoprah Wrote: I'm a fan of lawn clover. I like the look of it. But on my plot, I planted it among bushes and flowers. That is, it has a purely decorative function. Because clover is a honey plant, and bees adore it. Although my children don't prevent them from trampling it anyway.

For this reason, I try to use a (link deleted) more often. In general, though, this isn't necessary, as clover is quite beautifully flocked on the ground. Clover isn't easy to trample. Because the clover stalk doesn't pull up but instead stalks on the ground, it springs up when pressed and easily straightens out without breaking.

SPAMMER DISPATCHED
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]