Underpowered drum sanders?
I recently bought a supermax 25/50 drum sander. Although I found it was built right up there with a very good fit and finish; the power I believe is lacking.
It seems to bog down pretty easily and the auto speed kicks in, then sometimes it just shuts off. I guess I'm expecting too much for 2,200 dollars? Maybe a 3 hp motor and 220 volt option would be a better choice. It does work great at sanding highly figured wood like burls,curly figure and so forth; but bogs down very quickly when doing anything wider than 6 inches or so. I was sanding burl for small boxes and the lines left by 80 grit sandpaper (comes with) were very hard to sand out. I found a sharp scraper much better at getting those lines out. I'm wondering if this is a limitation of this design? I don't have seven thousand dollars to plop down on a wide belt sander. What are your thoughts?
Now where is that chisel
How much are you trying to sand at once? I use the 19-38 and will only bog down when too deep of a pass happens. Get the height correct, then only take 1/4 turns and you should be fine. This works on my machine don't see why it wouldn't on yours.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I had a Woodmaster 718 with a 5hp motor on the head and a separate feed drive. 
Taking too deep a pass with the drum sanding head would slow it right down. Anything over 1/32” per pass was too aggressive even at 5 hp.

I suspect you are taking too much at a pass.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I have the 25-50.  this is not a planer .  You have to take light passes.  I only use 120 grit on mine.  Much higher and  I get burning.  Lower and the lines are harder to remove.  Nature of the beast.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
How is the outlet wired for the tool? Is it capable of delivering 20A? What gauge wires for circuit? Is this a dedicated circuit or is it shared? Is it plugged in directly or through an extension cord?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I have a 3 HP on my 24" dual drum General.  0.010" is a big bite; much more and it will stall.  I had a Delta 18x36 before that with a 1.5 HP motor.  0.005" was about all it could handle.  I found that planing to about 0.030 - 0.040" over and then 2 or 3 passes on each side works very well to remove planer marks and most tearout w/o taking excess time.     

John
(05-25-2019, 09:21 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote:  I was sanding burl for small boxes and the lines left by 80 grit sandpaper (comes with) were very hard to sand out. I found a sharp scraper much better at getting those lines out. 

A clue there.  You're taking too big a bite, and the heat generated is case-hardening the surface.  You can break the case-hardening with a damp rag and dry before next grit, but the real answer is to take a smaller bite.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(05-25-2019, 09:21 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I recently bought a supermax 25/50 drum sander. Although I found it was built right up there with a very good fit and finish; the power I believe is lacking.
It seems to bog down pretty easily and the auto speed kicks in, then sometimes it just shuts off. I guess I'm expecting too much for 2,200 dollars? Maybe a 3 hp motor and 220 volt option would be a better choice. It does work great at sanding highly figured wood like burls,curly figure and so forth; but bogs down very quickly when doing anything wider than 6 inches or so. I was sanding burl for small boxes and the lines left by 80 grit sandpaper (comes with) were very hard to sand out. I found a sharp scraper much better at getting those lines out. I'm wondering if this is a limitation of this design? I don't have seven thousand dollars to plop down on a wide belt sander. What are your thoughts?

I have a 37" supermax. When I first got it (used) I had a tendency to try to take off too much. I doesn't have an auto speed so the belt would slip. It also would burn the paper or the wood. Cherry is real easy to burn. Pine will clog up the paper. I will not put either of those through my sander. I had to remember that I was just sanding and not trying to take off a lot of wood. Try light passes at a slower speed.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I had a 5HP Grizzly 24" and 5 to 10 thou was about all it would sand without stalling
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-25-2019, 10:19 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: I have the 25-50.  this is not a planer .  You have to take light passes.  I only use 120 grit on mine.  Much higher and  I get burning.  Lower and the lines are harder to remove.  Nature of the beast.

I guess this is a lesson most new users of small sanders must learn, I know I did. I rigged an ammeter on mine so I knew how much of a load the main motor was under. Keep the amps around 15 with feed speed and depth knob and life is fine. Sort of a manual smart sand I guess.