Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander
I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”;   and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions.  We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping and seeking suggestions online.  Your recomendation or experience will be appreciated. 

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
Bill 
I have the Festool (because I also have a 6" Rotex) but have not yet used it. I think dust collection will not work with a solid disc or pad.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-26-2019, 09:38 PM)cputnam Wrote: I have the Festool (because I also have a 6" Rotex) but have not yet used it.  I think dust collection will not work with a solid disc or pad.

Bill , the festool EC will work with abranet with a backer pad.  It will also spin "solid" disks , but like cpu says - you'll lose all dust collection and you'll wear out your pad quickly.   If you're set on solid disks then I'd suggest getting a less expensive sander and using a downdraft table with sufficient dust collecton.  

There are a lot of festool dealers in your area.  Case Supply in Savannah was an early dealer and Richelieu now carries the line.  Better call to see what they have on display before you drive down.  Up in Charleston, Spectrum Paint had some sanders at one point and Buck Lumber should be well kitted up.  Capital Mtrls. has an outpost down there too.  Their ATL location carries sanders.

Don't know about Ray Sander, but festool's 3 year warrant is hard to beat.  The 5" EC can be converted to a 6" pad , but the 6" can't be scaled down.  Mirka makes great sanders. But are harder to find.  Richelieu reps them too.   Best to actually hold both in your hand and use them as the feel is quite different.  Festool offers 30 days no ??? return, and I'll bet you could return a Mirka ordered from Amazon if you didn't get on with it.
Thank you. I think I am getting close to a decision.
I have been pretty happy with the Bosch ROS65VC 6.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(02-27-2021, 12:15 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: I have been pretty happy with the Bosch ROS65VC 6.

That one (maybe in the 5" size) would be my recommendation as well. I have it's predecessor and have used it for a very long time (maybe 20 years) and it's still going strong.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Bosch and Festool here
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I love my Makita B06030.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Zombie threads are great!
Semper fi,
Brad

I love my Milwaukee with the lifetime warranty. The dust collection is excellent. It has a rocker switch that I don't love but it seems most use a rocker switch. Would buy again.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.