Loose Tenons
I am making pine passage doors. The rails and styles will be joined by loose tenos. What material should I make the tenons out of pine, hardwood, plywood, or other materials?
(05-27-2019, 04:36 PM)pebbles Wrote: I am making pine passage doors. The rails and styles will be joined by loose tenos. What material should I make the tenons out of pine, hardwood, plywood, or other materials?

Hi,

I think a hardwood is best. I usually use oak...and it works pretty well.
(05-27-2019, 04:36 PM)pebbles Wrote: I am making pine passage doors. The rails and styles will be joined by loose tenos. What material should I make the tenons out of pine, hardwood, plywood, or other materials?

If you were making traditional M&T joints the tenons would be the pine, so I'd use pine.  That way, there will be no difference in seasonal movement.  

John
Pine would be fine as mentioned above.

As long as your loose tenons are properly fitted, they will be just as strong as a traditional M&T joint, or so close as males no difference. 

As with most joinery, well fitted is more important than most other details.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.