Push Drill & Yankee Screwdriver
A couple more finds from when I helped my brother clean out a garage full of stuff.
From what I can tell both of these are from the 1930’s.

The push drill was manufactured by MERIT and in doing some research, believe it to be patented November 17, 1891.
I cleaned it up and it seems to work ok. However it only has one of the drill bits in the holder. Still a nice find.

The screwdriver is marked:
YANKEE HANDYMAN No 133H
North Brothers MFG. co.
DIVISION OF STANLEY TOOLS
Phila, PA  MADE IN USA

I believe it has a patent year of 1895. It too was pretty grungy but after cleaning it still works rather well for its age. The only bit I found was the one that was in it.

These two are not really useful in todays modern world. However it’s nice to hold a piece of history that’s almost 100 years old that was made in America when things were made to last a very long time.

If any of you have better info on these two, please post.
Hope you enjoy seeing these tools from the past…

[Image: 47955043636_1d79634c84_m.jpg]
(05-28-2019, 07:16 PM)wood-chips Wrote: A couple more finds from when I helped my brother clean out a garage full of stuff.
From what I can tell both of these are from the 1930’s.

The push drill was manufactured by MERIT and in doing some research, believe it to be patented November 17, 1891.
I cleaned it up and it seems to work ok. However it only has one of the drill bits in the holder. Still a nice find.

The screwdriver is marked:
YANKEE HANDYMAN No 133H
North Brothers MFG. co.
DIVISION OF STANLEY TOOLS
Phila, PA  MADE IN USA

I believe it has a patent year of 1895. It too was pretty grungy but after cleaning it still works rather well for its age. The only bit I found was the one that was in it.

These two are not really useful in todays modern world. However it’s nice to hold a piece of history that’s almost 100 years old that was made in America when things were made to last a very long time.

If any of you have better info on these two, please post.
Hope you enjoy seeing these tools from the past…

[Image: 47955043636_1d79634c84_m.jpg]
No help with the dates but can tell you that the screwdriver was made in at least two sizes..I have the one you pictured plus one smaller called Yankee Handyman and it measures 4" long overall...it has a straight blade because the Phillips had not yet been invented or was not commonly in use.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-28-2019, 07:16 PM)wood-chips Wrote: These two are not really useful in todays modern world.
I find I don't use the Yankee screwdriver much, but a push drill is still an extremely useful tool:

*If you're installing small hardware around the house (blinds, shades, suchlike), particularly if it involves standing on a ladder, you can drill the screw holes about as fast as you can with a cordless drill, and (a) never have to worry about the battery going flat while you're up the ladder; (b) never have to figure out where to set the cordless drill down on the ladder; © etc.

*If you're installing hardware in a piece of furniture and find you need to make a small hole tucked into the very corner of the cabinet (e.g., you forgot to test-install the knife hinges before you glued up the cabinet), you can get a whole lot closer to the corner with one of these than you'll ever get with any other drill type.

I'm sure there are more places a push drill would be handy; those are the first two that came to mind.
Hmmm..
Winkgrin  

And...
Cool 

Be very, very careful....these can be addicting

DAMHIKT
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have a yankee and use it all the time. Bought my bits from Walt Quadratto to fill it out, I only had a few bits. Mine is the top style with the enclosed screw. I used to use it more when I was younger as I didn't have as many tools, but it still comes in handy.

One of the few tools I have from my Father.
Cool
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Worked on building a reloading jig, for a Black Powder Remington Revolver....once I got a recess for a hinge chopped out..

And chopped out a spot to rest the butt of the grips in....time to start a hole for 2 screws...

Then drill 2 pilot holes...

Millers Falls push drill.....then add 2 screws..

Screwdriver has a Phillips bit in it, as the screws were also phillips...

Still have to custom fit the notch to the cylinders, and the hammer.  "OEM" one beside it, will also adjust the notch. 

Gouge used for the grip rest.  Wood for the new jigs is White Oak..will stain to match the OEM one. 

Bits for a Yankee screwdriver are easy to make....from long bits used in drill/drivers....just grind until they fit in the chuck, grind the notches needed, and use the bits.
somebody needs to make "vix" bits that would fit into those. It would make them pretty useful
You can modify hex bits to fit a Yankee screwdriver.  The video shows how to adapter a hex drive adapter.  So your options are to adapt a hex bit holder, or each hex drive vix bit.  Hex drive vix bits are available.  I would imagine the choice would be whether the hex shaft on each bit is long enough to engage the clip inside the Yankee chuck.

This shows a hex bit adapter in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBykIEGa_T4
This painfully poor video shows the actual modification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSd_fCzNQO4

Here is an example of hex drive vix bits on Amazon.  If you know of better source(s) get them there.  Your mileage may differ.
https://www.amazon.com/3pc-Vix-Bit-Hex-S...B001UQQSZO
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
You can buy hex bit adapters to fit Yankee drivers from Lee Valley. They have the large and small Yankee sizes.
Edit to add; I just tried a vix bit in the Lee Valley adapter, and it locks in perfect.
Prefer the higher speed of a cordless drill, for vix bits....I also have a "hammer drive"  version...

Cost me nothing but a few minutes at the grinder, to fit a hex drive bit to the yankee.  Prefer the older bits, with the round shank...

Just as simple the predrill with the "other" Yankee first, then drive the screws home....like I did earlier today..

Grab one, then the other...

Even with 12 screws to do....doesn't take all that long...
Cool