Push Drill & Yankee Screwdriver
My version of a VIX bit...
Rolleyes

Set the hinges as needed, set this contraption in a screw hole...
Winkgrin 

Couple of "taps" with the hammer, move over to the next location, repeat..

And you have 2 perfectly centered pilot holes for the screws...all set for the screwdriver...
Winkgrin  

No drill to set up, no drill bit to get jammed up or snap off...IF you see one at the local sales...grab it.  
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Agreed on the centering punch, although I've found the quality of these varies.  The first one I found tended to wobble as it drove, so the hole would wind up off-center.  Last year (I think it was), I found a more robust one that centers the punched hole perfectly.
(06-06-2019, 10:20 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Agreed on the centering punch, although I've found the quality of these varies.  The first one I found tended to wobble as it drove, so the hole would wind up off-center.  Last year (I think it was), I found a more robust one that centers the punched hole perfectly.

Maybe Veritas will come out with a set of these.....iron?  Bronze?   Brass and steel?    
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Laugh
(06-06-2019, 02:06 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Maybe Veritas will come out with a set of these.....iron?  Bronze?   Brass and steel?    
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Laugh

With wavy washers to do something useful...
Starrett still makes automatic centering punches that are very nice. I use the #819 hinge-locating punch, adjustable stroke, 5" length, 5/8" diameter.
(06-06-2019, 06:22 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: Starrett still makes automatic centering punches that are very nice. I use the #819 hinge-locating punch, adjustable stroke, 5" length, 5/8" diameter.

Here's a video of a Bell Centering Punch for locating centers on round stock.. I have the vintage Cushman..the second one Mr.Pete shows in the video..I don't think they are manufactured by anyone any longer...This could be easily made on a wood lathe out of an exotic hardwood in about any size needed..The punch itself could just be a piece of mild cold rolled steel...pretty easy, afternoon fun project..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpihWP1yUvA
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Those Yankee Screwdrivers can be addicting
Rolleyes 

Picked these this morning....pair of No. 30s, and that little screwdriver....I did show some restraint, though
Rolleyes 

Red handle is a later model Stanley ( no tip, either) and the plastic handled one in "Made in Japan"  Left both of those.....IF you look closely..
Cool

You'll see a bit holder in the one Yankee...I can switch out to whatever tip I need.  
Cool
The flat-bladed turnscrews are pretty nifty, too, Bandit.
They cleaned up nicely, too
Cool 

Each has a different logo, though..
Confused
New paint on the handles...

Found out one of the little ones will not lock in either direction..
No

Bronze inserts have worn out....The Craftsman one has a different handle, left it alone, for now..

Seems Millers Falls made this for Sears...

As this is either a #610, or a #610A....

May set up a "clothes line" of sorts....all the bare wood handles will get a dip in varnish, then hung up to dry...even those flat bladed "English" pattern screwdrivers..
Cool