Odd-ball tools that save the day
I have a set of Gimlets, but they stay in a small wooden box inside the toolchest. Has to pull them out today to drill some holes for a chest lock. 

Excuse the dusty fingerprints. I was sanding it today. 

Whats a tool in your chest that rarely sees the light of day until that moment when it saves the day?
(05-29-2019, 07:00 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have a set of Gimlets, but they stay in a small wooden box inside the toolchest. Has to pull them out today to drill some holes for a chest lock. 

Excuse the dusty fingerprints. I was sanding it today. 

Whats a tool in your chest that rarely sees the light of day until that moment when it saves the day?
I sometimes go a month without ever using a Dremel, then sometimes it's the only tool that will do the job and I will use it almost every day for a week. One of the most useful tools you can have WHEN you need one..Plenty of "imitator" Dremels out there for a little more than a loaded Big Mac with a shake and fries.....
Big Grin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

My projects vary so much that almost everything seems to be an oddball tool at some time or other.
Wink

A couple of weeks ago I was making some canning jar boxes for my daughter...made one just a little too short, so I got out my drawknife and shaved the ends down on the inside.
The drawknife was my Grandpa’s...it was an oddball tool for him, too. I remember him pulling it out for something, and thinking to myself, “I wonder how he even remembered he had that!”

I’ve got a bunch of wedges that I made for clamping something a while back...just pulled one out the other day to support a door I was hanging. Worked pretty well.

I’ve also got a bunch of old bicycle spokes that periodically get cut and/or bent up for various purposes. I’m currently making some corner blocks for baseboards, and made a prong tool to hold them for dunking in stain and varnish. Sometimes the best tool for the job isn’t even a tool.
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Always a treat to see your work Scoony.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
used  quite a few oddball tools today..
Rolleyes

Dremel and a wheel, to cut a line..

Dig around to find the only gouge I own...
Winkgrin

Chisel to make a recess for a hinge...

Make sure it is flush...chisel to adjust...

Locate and start two holes for screws..

Drill 2 pilot holes , wax the 2 screws...

Grab a screwdriver, and install...

When the Navy Colt shows up, I can adjust the fit of the new reloading jig...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Five or six years ago my sister and BIL gave me a Veritas side rabbit plane for Christmas. One of those tools I wouldn't have spent that kinda money on for myself.  Haven't used it that often but it was a life saver when needed.

Really nice designed.
I don't know how many times over the years I have almost picked up or ordered gimlets. I even tried to make a gimlet from coat hanger wire. They aren't something I anticipate comfort in using, so are definitely "odd-ball". Drill bits seem to be more useful. 

Alternatives and workarounds to missing tools, or other, are the norm.
My "odd ball" tool is the miniature shoulder plane I bought from Lee Valley on a whim.  I was getting a medium shoulder plane, and the miniature version caught my eye.  It looked like a little toy!

I added it to the order.  Paid $28, IIRC.

There have been a number of times where I needed to clean up a tight dado or a shoulder and that little plane has been a real help.
Mmmnnnn. Way too many oddball tools to list, mostly homemade stop blocks, spacers, holding brackets......
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Credit for this one goes to Scott Grandstaff...

The thin, flexy scraper, great for odd jobs:

Easy to sharpen "good enough" in a saw-vise by draw-filing a 45-degree bevel:

Chris
Chris