Recommend a jigsaw
Seems like a handy tool to have.  Been youtubing for recommended jigsaws but would appreciate advice here from experienced users.
Looks like a simple tool, is there a wide range in quality?  I'd rather pay more for a decent one than have regrets.
Any advice appreciated.  Local Home depot had 2 brands in stock, Ryobi and dewalt.
I can't talk to the Dewalt or Ryobi.

Yes, in my opinion, there can be a huge difference.  

I had a Craftsman; LOML gave it to me for my birthday years ago.  I hated that jigsaw.  Not only was the bevel a royal PITA to set, even when cutting a straight line in plywood it bucked and fought me every inch along the way.  Required a screwdriver to change blades.  Didn't seem to cut very well, even in soft woods with a fresh blade.  During a project building a pergola for the patio four years ago, I was using it with the usual poor result.  LOML saw that and asked, "Why is that saw doing that?"  I told her it always had.  She said, "Replace it, then."

Next day I went and bought a Bosch JS470E.  Think I paid $130-140 for it.  What a joy to use in comparison.  Plenty of power, tool-less blade change, smooth-running, nice quality cuts (for a jigsaw).

I ended giving the Craftsman to my daughter to sell in a school class garage sale. I think they got $10 for it or something like that. Sometimes I feel bad that somebody paid $10 for that POS.

I like my Bosch tools; I have several.  The jigsaw I'm talking about, a finish sander, and a reciprocating saw that's perfect for my needs.
Bosch - I have a slightly older model, I think it's a 1590.  It has been worth every penny.  Cuts straight as an arrow and is a joy to use.  Wouldn't even consider another brand.

Lonnie
(06-01-2019, 11:38 AM)Ricky Wrote: Seems like a handy tool to have.  Been youtubing for recommended jigsaws but would appreciate advice here from experienced users.
Looks like a simple tool, is there a wide range in quality?  I'd rather pay more for a decent one than have regrets.
Any advice appreciated.  Local Home depot had 2 brands in stock, Ryobi and dewalt.

Jig saws are a great basic tool that everyone needs.

First Choice: Top Handle or Barrel Grip. Top handle is better for vertical and upside down applications, however, this is very seldom needed. In most cases a barrel grip gives more control and is more comfortable. I personally find top handles a bit too clumsy and swear by barrel grips, but it's really a personal choice. 

Second Choice: regular quality or super quality. For most folks, a Bosch--the best regular quality jigsaw--is perfect. Bosch does jigsaws particularly well. If you use a jigsaw professionally then consider moving up to the Festool. Most people won't appreciate the small differences but for someone who uses a jigsaw all day the differences are worth it. I use a jigsaw A LOT and have used the barrel grip Festool for about a decade. Love it. But if you're just taking a cut every now and then get the Bosch. And if you only need a jigsaw a couple times a year then really anything will work and even the Bosch might be overkill. 

Last consideration: battery or plug in. I recommend plug in since these things use a lot of energy. If you have infinite wealth then having both is fine but if you're just choosing one get the plug in. I've got a plug in and a battery reciprocating saw [which is Kinda apples to oranges...] and it's nice to have the battery version when I don't want to drag an extension cord out to whatever I'm hacking at---but it's always underpowered and runs through about 3 batteries for every small job I attempt with it. Jigsaws and reciprocating saws are just better hardwired in to power.
Thanks! Yeah seems Bosch gets top reviews from what I've been seeing. Time to check Amazon prime. Thank you gentlemen!
Bosch barrel grip.
(06-01-2019, 05:12 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Bosch barrel grip.

Yep, I pulled the trigger and ordered the JS470EB (barrell grip) to be delivered. Monday.
Yes
Smart choice, you wont be sorry.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(06-01-2019, 05:12 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Bosch barrel grip.

+1

When I bought mine, I found that a lot of boat builders (who use jigsaws a lot) swore by the barrel-grip Bosch 1591EVS, which is what I bought and have been pleased with.
Mine is an older model Bosch Bosch 1590 EVS. I'd buy it or its successor in a heartbeat.