Radial Arm Saw Help
(06-03-2019, 05:12 AM)srv52761 Wrote: If you haven’t started yet consider the Mr. Sawdust style table.
Everything is referenced from your table...the fence,  all the adjustments, the alignment, and all your stock. A flat, square, reinforced table, covered with a sacrificial top will last your lifetime.

Here are a couple of excellent videos on the ras tables by Brian Weekly, a member of the Dewalt RAS forum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cc-_vPT0w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_e5yQC_i7mI

Here is a video on constructing a Mr. Sawdust table by Tommy Tompkins.  You can see the angle cleats for table attachments at the 6:15 mark, about 40 seconds later you can see them mounted on the saw.   Each has 5 screw holes for table attachment and2 elongated holes for attaching to the saw base and height adjustment.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMBT45g_qg
 Remember where the elevation crank is on the craftsman,  the front fold down table and the angle iron across the front will not work with a Mr Sawdust type table.  Roly
First thing to do is check to see if your saw is covered by the recall of Craftsman RAS.  Mine was.  I received a  replacement guard (because of the recall) and a brand new table top--I don't know why they included the table top.

Google Craftsman Radial arm saw recall and check that first.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
[attachment=18694 Wrote:Roly pid='7754278' dateline='1559561481'] Remember where the elevation crank is on the craftsman,  the front fold down table and the angle iron across the front will not work with a Mr Sawdust type table.  Roly

Roly, the fold down table in the video is a Tommy Tompkins addition to the Mr. Sawdust table to match the original Dewalt design.
The table proper is just a flat block of wood.

That big piece of angle iron in his video, I think, is just used as a caul during glue-up to try to keep the back table flat.
The angles that attach the table and the base at the 6:15 and 7:00 mark are bolted to the sides of the base and should not affect the elevation crank in the front.  The left-to-right support to prevent sag is supplied by the flat iron stock embedded in the table.

Here is a photo of a guy adjusting the cleats to be parallel to the travel of the saw on one Craftsman.  The cleats are identical to the type on the later  Dewalts.  Should be the same clearance below as was available with the original table.  Mr. Sawdust table is just two pieces glued together so you lose about 3/4” of height to the available column lift.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Setting...l-Arm-Saw/

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-03-2019, 07:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: First thing to do is check to see if your saw is covered by the recall of Craftsman RAS.  Mine was.  I received a  replacement guard (because of the recall) and a brand new table top--I don't know why they included the table top.

They ran out of guards.  The recall is still active, but now they send you a prepaid shipping box, you remove the motor and yoke, send it back to them; they send you a check for $100.
(06-03-2019, 07:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: First thing to do is check to see if your saw is covered by the recall of Craftsman RAS.  Mine was.  I received a  replacement guard (because of the recall) and a brand new table top--I don't know why they included the table top.

His saw may qualify for the recall, but he won't get a guard and table. They ran out, will make no more. Now the only choice is the $100.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-03-2019, 07:53 AM)fredhargis Wrote: His saw may qualify for the recall, but he won't get a guard and table. They ran out, will make no more. Now the only choice is the $100.

I never mounted my table, but did replace the guard.  My table is still in pretty good shape.  I think I blew the capacitor though.  I heard a "pop" and the motor went dead.  I will get a new capacitor and see if that fixes it.
(06-03-2019, 07:53 AM)fredhargis Wrote: His saw may qualify for the recall, but he won't get a guard and table. They ran out, will make no more. Now the only choice is the $100.

Yes,  I just looked that up.  That is to permanently disable the saw.  You send the motor and the sliding carriage (they provide a box and shipping) and they send you $100.00.  That's probably fair.  I paid $100.00 for my saw used and it was in near-new condition.  So if they send you $100.00 you might be able to get a compliant saw for not much more than that.
(06-03-2019, 11:10 AM)Cooler Wrote: Yes,  I just looked that up.  That is to permanently disable the saw.  You send the motor and the sliding carriage (they provide a box and shipping) and they send you $100.00.  That's probably fair.  I paid $100.00 for my saw used and it was in near-new condition.  So if they send you $100.00 you might be able to get a compliant saw for not much more than that.

There was not much wrong with those Craftsman saws.  They did not have a lower blade guard.  

The guards on the Dewalts serve no purpose, they slide out of the way with any pressure so they don’t really protect your fingers.  Most people remove them as they get in the way more often than not, and just about any time you rip.
This book is the very best investment you could ever get for a RAS.

https://www.mrsawdust.com/

I had a new copy of it by the owner of which someone here bought if for me.  It tells you everything including how to do the table.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

I did.  I just found out about the recall last week.  I called.  They ran out of the new guards five years ago.  Now they will give $100 if you mail the motor in.