What's the proper way to tile a concrete slab floor?
Not the best pictures but these are of my shower and bathroom floor using tile lashes for large format tile. Not only do that make the job look professional, they allow me to use a smaller tile spacer because there isn't any variation in height from one tile to another. I don't have to use a wide grout line to make that variation look tolerable. I like the look of thin grout lines vs. wider. I believe I used 1/8" spacers. Saves a lot of grout and grouting time too.

When the tiles have set in place, simply snap off the lash. It breaks below the tile surface so they aren't seen once grouted.

[Image: JX1oFmL.jpg]

[Image: F4HqL4s.jpg]

[Image: 4Mx0RfY.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-03-2019, 04:58 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: +1

+2
(06-04-2019, 06:14 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not the best pictures but these are of my shower and bathroom floor using tile lashes for large format tile. Not only do that make the job look professional, they allow me to use a smaller tile spacer because there isn't any variation in height from one tile to another. I don't have to use a wide grout line to make that variation look tolerable. I like the look of thin grout lines vs. wider. I believe I used 1/8" spacers. Saves a lot of grout and grouting time too.

When the tiles have set in place, simply snap off the lash. It breaks below the tile surface so they aren't seen once grouted.

[Image: JX1oFmL.jpg]

[Image: F4HqL4s.jpg]

Looks good!
(06-04-2019, 06:14 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not the best pictures but these are of my shower and bathroom floor using tile lashes for large format tile. Not only do that make the job look professional, they allow me to use a smaller tile spacer because there isn't any variation in height from one tile to another. I don't have to use a wide grout line to make that variation look tolerable. I like the look of thin grout lines vs. wider. I believe I used 1/8" spacers. Saves a lot of grout and grouting time too.

[Image: JX1oFmL.jpg][Image: F4HqL4s.jpg]

Looks good. Though don't show those pictures over at the Johnbridge forum as they persecute anyone that doesn't use a full on Schluter system...  Nothing wrong with redgard and cement board or redgard and drywall either (waiting for the flaming to start).

I wish tile leveling systems had been more common back when I did the kitchen and laundry room as they make tiling much easier and faster and a better product though I have never heard them called lashes before. The commercial tile guys just call them leveling spacers or leveling systems. I have two more bathrooms to tile and some floor tile in the entryway to do still. One bathroom is going to be allot of tile with a large walk in shower so lots of fun... Course I would like to have someone else to the grout though...
Yeah the folks at JohnBridge.com forum can loudly sing the praises of all things Schluter. 

But they also have a lot of experts who gladly answer any newbie questions. I used them more than a few times on a couple bathrooms I redid this past year. 

Lot's of good info here and the one thing I'll add is the bigger the tile, the flatter the floor needs to be. Take care of the low spots and you'll be thankful later.
And another +1 on leveling systems. I used this one that is both a spacer and leveler in one. Worked great for narrow grout lines where lippage can be a problem. They're made by Progress.

Attached Files Image(s)