Anybody Visit Tools for Working Wood?
I'm planning a vacation to NYC and I'm considering popping into TFWW.  I know they have a museum of sorts there, and probably tons of drool-worthy tools.  I'm just wondering if it's worth a side trip to Brooklyn.  I've met and talked to Joel and some of his crew when they used to show up at the Woodworking in America events several years ago.  Nice guys.  Seeing them on their home turf might make it to my itinerary.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I stop in from time to time when I'm in the city (i.e., Manhattan) for meetings and such, each time it was worth the trip and I came home with something, so take some cash/cc. If you go from the city, I highly recommend taking the subway ("R" train) as it is very convenient to the store and the best way of getting around; driving or Ubering is not optimal. If you're in Brooklyn already, then Uber.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Ive been to their old locations. It is nice to be able to get your hands on their stuff and actually try it out (which you would have also had a chance to do in WIA). Also nice to be able to ask questions (I actually took my bowsaw I made from their kit in once to get some guidance on how to use it better, which was really helpful).

I'd highly recommend hitting up the MET. The furniture exhibit is good, and there are some other amazing bits of woodwork throughout various exhibits. One neat thing is the back end of the furniture exhibit has a bunch of furniture simply tightly packed into display cases. I found it really nice there to be able to compare different styles in person, and also be able to go with my wife and get feedback on what she likes.

I would second the MET. Examples from 500 + years of furniture making. It'll inspire 500+ photos.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
The MET is on our itinerary. My wife is an art major, so it was a given.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-03-2019, 09:12 AM)AHill Wrote: I'm planning a vacation to NYC and I'm considering popping into TFWW.  I know they have a museum of sorts there, and probably tons of drool-worthy tools.  I'm just wondering if it's worth a side trip to Brooklyn.  I've met and talked to Joel and some of his crew when they used to show up at the Woodworking in America events several years ago.  Nice guys.  Seeing them on their home turf might make it to my itinerary.

Being so close to Lee Valley I would check that out to. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-03-2019, 09:12 AM)AHill Wrote: I'm planning a vacation to NYC and I'm considering popping into TFWW.  I know they have a museum of sorts there, and probably tons of drool-worthy tools.  I'm just wondering if it's worth a side trip to Brooklyn.  I've met and talked to Joel and some of his crew when they used to show up at the Woodworking in America events several years ago.  Nice guys.  Seeing them on their home turf might make it to my itinerary.

I've stopped in when I was in town.

I never regretted it and I never left empty handed 
Big Grin
Peter

My "day job"
(06-06-2019, 12:10 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Being so close to Lee Valley I would check that out to. 
Yes

LV is a pretty long drive from NYC, Arlin.  The Kingston, Ontario store, is about a 6.5 hour drive from NYC.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(06-07-2019, 09:54 AM)AHill Wrote: LV is a pretty long drive from NYC, Arlin.  The Kingston, Ontario store, is about a 6.5 hour drive from NYC.

Well it IS closer then then where you were in Florida.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-07-2019, 12:51 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Well it IS closer then then where you were in Florida.
Yes
Yes

My mailbox in Florida is much closer to my house than it was in California!  
Wink
Still Learning,

Allan Hill