Dust collection for basement shop
Not a big shop, won't have stationary unit with duct work.  I want a self contained mobile unit.  Just bought a 12.5 inch planer so will need it for sure.  At first I was thinking of getting a HF 2hp unit and doing the upgrades. Adding a cartridge filter, cyclone unit and maybe upgrading the impeller.  The dollars start to add up so was thinking paying a little more for something that's already sold as a unit plug and play.
Something like this Grizzley. What do ya'll think?

Grizzly Industrial G0860 1-1/2 HP Portable Cyclone Dust Collector
Looks like a pretty standard design that a lot of manufacturer's are selling. Grizzly's price point likely cant be beat.
Go for it. Your lung/health are your most important assets and are hard to replace!
In the future when funds are available - you can always go for something bigger with more suction and stationary ductwork.
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
While the HF DC has a huge following, I'm not one of them. I'd go for the Griz over the HF/upgrade for sure.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks. I figure this unit has plenty of CFM if used near the machine.
Don't give up on a permanent installation. My shop is tiny - 17' X 25'. I installed a ClearVue cyclone and piped it to all my machines nine years ago. It's the best shop improvement I've ever made. I dedicated one small corner of the shop to it and enclosed it in a sound damping closet. I thought I couldn't spare the room, but I worked it out and I'm very happy with it. I seriously considered a mobile unit I could move from machine to machine; but, aside from being a PITA, my machines, workbench, etc., don't leave me enough room to move something like that around in my shop. A dedicated unit was the answer for me.
(06-03-2019, 11:31 AM)Ricky Wrote: Not a big shop, won't have stationary unit with duct work.  I want a self contained mobile unit.  Just bought a 12.5 inch planer so will need it for sure.  At first I was thinking of getting a HF 2hp unit and doing the upgrades. Adding a cartridge filter, cyclone unit and maybe upgrading the impeller.  The dollars start to add up so was thinking paying a little more for something that's already sold as a unit plug and play.
Something like this Grizzley. What do ya'll think?

Grizzly Industrial G0860 1-1/2 HP Portable Cyclone Dust Collector

I had to take my DC apart to get it down the steps into my basement. It all has to go back up someday.

I have 1 hose that I hookup to the tablesaw, with or without an overhead hose to the blade guard, and 1 hose for everything else.Maybe not ideal, but it works for me.

Plug and play is the way to go.

Attached Files Image(s)