Home Made Chisels
They are for odd sizes that that I do not currently have.   I had some 01 steel that I had for a long time.  I have a mini mill and used that the chamfer the sides.  Made my own brass collars.   Quenched in oil and tempered in the oven.   I have been using them for about a month now and they seems to work really well for the work that I do.   I wish now that I had taken more work in progress pictures.   Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-03-2019, 04:03 PM)deeno Wrote: They are for odd sizes that that I do not currently have.   I had some 01 steel that I had for a long time.  I have a mini mill and used that the chamfer the sides.  Made my own brass collars.   Quenched in oil and tempered in the oven.   I have been using them for about a month now and they seems to work really well for the work that I do.   I wish now that I had taken more work in progress pictures.   Thanks.

Very nice work.  A chisel you made will always fit your hand better than store bought.
Nice job on those chisels.  I was going to make a set a few years back, but a friend found an analysis of the steel in my chisels and said they were almost identical to O1, so there wasn’t much point.  Still, I’d like to make my own, in the length of a butt chisel.  I like short ones.

Those handles look very easy to hold and control.
Nicely done. I really like the turned ring on the bolster. It's so satisfying to use a good tool that you made yourself, isn't it?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(06-05-2019, 09:49 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Nice job on those chisels.  I was going to make a set a few years back, but a friend found an analysis of the steel in my chisels and said they were almost identical to O1, so there wasn’t much point.  Still, I’d like to make my own, in the length of a butt chisel.  I like short ones.

Those handles look very easy to hold and control.

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes there is nothing like the pleasure of using well made tools that you made yourself.