Woodworking in the woodworking forum
(06-08-2019, 06:36 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Just an observation, but the description for the Hand Tool forum starts with "Talk about hand tools..." so I would expect the discussions there be more about the tools, and their techniques (including your fretsaw discussion). Seems like the woodworking projects/build-a-longs/crafting/design discussions would belong in this forum? Power tool discussions in the power tools forum, home improvement projects in the home improvement forum, off-topic discussions in the off-topic forum, and so on?

What I see happening is that people become comfortable with others in the same forum, and discussions there tend to now include topics that, according to the descriptions for the forums here, would perhaps be more appropriate in a different forum. I know that has become especially the case for the hand tool forum, and I expect Cooler is seeing the same thing in this forum. It's not a problem for me as the traffic in all the forums is light enough that one can easily skip the off-topic stuff. The exception are the discussions that are, or become, political. I don't understand how people have the energy to engage in those discussions anywhere.

I'm with you until the last two sentences. Will be glad to discuss further down in OT or via PM, in deference to the integrity of this category (woodworking).

Doug
All I can say is this......

Do not click on it if you do not want to read it.  I thought I put a comment in it saying it was it was headed for the basement soon but I guess I did not hit the submit button.
I have not been back since and read the rest and the others sections as well.  I start at the top and go to the basement where I seriously have learned a lot about different subjects and how to's of many things.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-08-2019, 12:23 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: All I can say is this......

Do not click on it if you do not want to read it.  I thought I put a comment in it saying it was it was headed for the basement soon but I guess I did not hit the submit button.
I have not been back since and read the rest and the others sections as well.  I start at the top and go to the basement where I seriously have learned a lot about different subjects and how to's of many things.
Arlin, then why do we have sub-forums on Woodnet (or any other forum) at all? Not everyone wants, or has the time or patience, to start at the top and work their way through all the sub-forums. I want to peruse the sub-forums that I have an interest in, hope they are on topic, and skip the rest.
(06-07-2019, 11:30 PM)Tapper Wrote:  Anyone seen or heard from Terre Hooks lately?

Doug

Him, and all of his posts, deleted/poofed earlier this year.
No explanation from higher up.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

From what I understand,he asked to be removed as he was fed up with being harassed and subjected to personal attacks.Too bad things have to come down to that.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(06-09-2019, 11:13 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: From what I understand,he asked to be removed as he was fed up with being harassed and subjected to personal attacks.Too bad things have to come down to that.

Mel

This is the kind of thing that just boggles my mind. I can't imagine harassing someone because of a difference of opinion on an online forum. That's one downside of the internet. The anonymity makes some people do very stupid things.
One good reason we should all use our real names.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(06-09-2019, 12:08 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: One good reason we should all use our real names.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Every policy has its pros and cons.

I have seen, observed and come across people in various forums where they are afraid to speak out or speak their mind, out of reasons only they know -- EVEN when no one knows if they are using their real names or not. Is a guy by the handle of Dick Smith or Ken Taylor really using his real name? I assume not as a rule.

Imagine how these people would act like if they were using their own names...be a lurker forever, or would they say anything that they fear some others don't like?

In fact, if the real full name is used, people can Google you down, and chase after you OUTSIDE the forum, a thought that you and I may not care about, but it is something others may be concerned about.

It is a real story (some of you may know who the subject blogger was): Some blogger got his share of attacks from a few for years, and when he decided to leave the blog, he revealed that he did some "background" searches on those people, finding out who they really are, what they do, etc. He disclosed his actions, though, to his credit, not the findings themselves. Still, it shows using real names is not a policy that does not carry a cost.

Simon
(06-09-2019, 12:08 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: One good reason we should all use our real names.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I understand your view, but I, for one, don't wish to display my personal identifiable information, or data, into the internet.  I'm a software lawyer, and see every day the value of data, and how it is used.  This troubles me.  In Europe, there is the GDPR, which in my view is something that should be adopted world wide.  It is not in the US, I don't know about Down Under.  But there is the recognized "right to be forgotten" in the EU, and I personally think that is a good idea.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Personally, I think it's a better place than it was when it started. And I've been here almost that long.
Smirk

Breaking up the topics was kind of a natural progression, and it was a good thing. Everyone knew where to go to ask the right people for advice - and the right people were there to provide the answers. My handtool use & selection grew rapidly with the introduction of that forum. And I'm a better woodworker because of it. They all have their place, and they all provide good information...

Like Derek, there were times when I wasn't sure some if my posts were worth the effort. Very few comments - good or bad (and both were always welcome...) - a few questions, and then they rather quickly worked their way down to page 2 and beyond. Not that I was ever expecting the great debate, I just expected a bit more participation based on all the views. I try to comment when I follow the project threads. That's where the meat of this forum lies, as far as I'm concerned. Granted I'm not here as much as I used to be, but I try to contribute when I am. And I will qualify that last sentence by saying that I usually only offer suggestions, comments, or alternative ideas if they haven't already been proffered. 

I truly enjoy the build along threads! I love seeing how others complete a task, the techniques, the jigs and tools they use, and reading about the lessons learned as they went through the steps. That is the true benefit of this forum for me... So keep'em coming! 
Yes  I try to post projects when I complete them. I've got one just about finished that I'm rather proud of that will be up soon. I may include a few of the build pics if I took any that help explain what I did. 
Winkgrin

So, for my part, thanks to Moderators, thanks to the contributors, and thanks to the commenters! 
Yes I'll try to do a better job holding up my end....

Big Dave (Howerton)
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."