Can someone make something for me
I need a Pine or any other wood of 2"x2" to be made in to a triangle of three different degrees on each side.

I guess of 360* it would be good to get 70*, 110*, and 180* or even 60*, 120*, and 180 but the

I need a center hole first of anything under 3/8" so I can make it that way or drill it up to 1/2" or even to make me two of them.

It is to help the vets and I sharpen a tool a special way we thought of and it will consist of putting the tool into the hole and rotating it on all three sides to get different degrees for not only a sharp tip and the sides to lay flat to do other cuts on the wood.

I can pay shipping if that can help.  Please send me a PM if you are able to do it and the shipping would be via paypal or a check.

Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Can one of you sketch-up geniuses post a sketch of what you think Arlin is looking for? I'm picturing a 2 x 2 x ? with a hole lengthwise, somewhat centered, then beveled on both sides creating a triangle. Maybe I'm just too tired to think, but I can't grasp the concept. If it is supposed to be a triangle, what are the three inside angles (totaling 180 please). Arlin can then correct the details if necessary.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
The sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees …

Red
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
Is this anything close?  It's drawn 2 inches thick, 2 inches on the longest side.

Is the hole in the triangle side or the rectangular (shaded) side?

What angles do you want?

Or are the sides needed to be beveled?

If the sides are to be beveled what shape do you want the jig to be? square, equilateral triangle?

Bedtime here. I'll check in the morning.

[Image: Fxk9foY.jpg]

Or is this more like it? 6" triangle, 2" thick, with beveled edges, 30,45, 60 degrees

[Image: DicDhqT.jpg]
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-06-2019, 10:08 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Is this anything close?  It's drawn 2 inches thick, 2 inches on the longest side.

Is the hole in the triangle side or the rectangular (shaded) side?  In the center white part

What angles do you want?  The angles of 45, 60, 75 just as long as the degrees are acute or different

Or are the sides needed to be beveled?

If the sides are to be beveled what shape do you want the jig to be?  square, equilateral triangle?

Bedtime here.  I'll check in the morning.

Or is this more like it?  6" triangle, 2" thick,  with beveled edges, 30,45, 60 degrees

[Image: DicDhqT.jpg]

This one but with a round hole.

The block would be 2x2x2.  What we want to do is make a three pointed turning tool with different degrees so when the tool is inserted in the middle of the block and we can set the block of say 30* flat on the tool rest and grind that angle and then flip it on one of the other sides and sharpen it on that angle and last of the third angle so we can use it for cutting dove tails or just using the point for using a burning tool or many other things we wish to do.

I just can not think or able to do it accurately with mine since I do not know how to adjust the blade at the angle.

I can show you in a powerpoint but it will not allow me to link it here.
Thanks guys
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(06-07-2019, 01:04 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: This one but with a round hole.

The block would be 2x2x2.  What we want to do is make a three pointed turning tool with different degrees so when the tool is inserted in the middle of the block and we can set the block of say 30* flat on the tool rest and grind that angle and then flip it on one of the other sides and sharpen it on that angle and last of the third angle so we can use it for cutting dove tails or just using the point for using a burning tool or many other things we wish to do.

I just can not think or able to do it accurately with mine since I do not know how to adjust the blade at the angle.

I can show you in a powerpoint but it will not allow me to link it here.
Thanks guys

Ok, so I think I've got it. Start with a chunk of wood about 2" square and lets say a foot long. Drill a 3/8' hole in each end in the center over 2" deep. bevel one side at 80* (that's 10* on the T.S. gauge). Flip it end for end and bevel the other side at 70* (20* on the same gauge) just narrow enough to create a triangle. That should leave the remaining angle at 30*. Now all you have to do is cut 2" off each end.
  Now, just as I was starting to feel good about solving this simple problem, I tried to visualize how it could be used to sharpen the business end of a cutting tool to three facets. I came up blank. The only way I could think of accomplishing this is with a three sided pyramid, with a hole bored straight down through the "peak". This is going to be a little tougher. I think this might actually be one of those times that might be easier to fabricate in metal. Start with four triangles of sheet metal. They're all going to be the same size and shape, but not a 30*, 70*, 80* triangle as above. I'm beginning to understand why Arlin was having a hard time figuring out the cuts. Once we've completed our trigonometry refresher course and determined the size and shape of the triangles, bore a hole in the center of one of them. Arrange them into a pyramid and tack weld them together. Using the hole as a guide, drill through the "peak". Worst case scenario? You can use it as a guide to set the compound angles needed to cut it out of wood.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I've sent him a couple more drawings and it's beginning to look like a simple flat triangle with center hole designed to sit on a grinder's support.

Not sure but I may cut one tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Arlin, when you have the design finalized and know it will work, if you need one that is a bit more durable, I can mill you one out of High density plastic or aluminum.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
OK I went to YouTube and put in wood turning Tips and Jigs and found this.  Go to the 17:18 and after to see what I am talking about.