Japanese style box
Photo 
I'm just getting back into woodworking after a 15 year break. My first attempt after setting up a shop. I used to make these back in the mid 90's and this was my first try so it's far from good. I can't figure out how to insert an image in the post, so I put in this link instead. I was planing on using some spray in felt for the inside but I like looking at the clara walnut burl.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2nbevk5zg/
Now where is that chisel
Nice box, beautiful wood!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Really, really nice!
Cool
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Very nice box.

and 17 more letters to satisfy the posting gods.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
I think the box is wonderful. If you don't want to "lose" interior burl, how about a felted removable liner like a cigar box with Spanish Cedar(?) liner, or secret compartment? What types of wood did you use?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(06-06-2019, 11:54 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I'm just getting back into woodworking after a 15 year break. My first attempt after setting up a shop. I used to make these back in the mid 90's and this was my first try so it's far from good. I can't figure out how to insert an image in the post, so I put in this link instead. I was planing on using some spray in felt for the inside but I like looking at the clara walnut burl.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2nbevk5zg/

Very nice piece of work.  Must have been challenging working with that grain.  I agree, spray-in felt would not do the piece justice.

My box-making abilities wouldn't match up to this, again, good work!

Frank S in IA
(06-06-2019, 11:54 PM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I used to make these back in the mid 90's and this was my first try so it's far from good.

Ain't nuthin wrong with that attempt. It's beautiful!
Very nice!  No way would I cover up that wood with anything.

Lonnie
I would not cover the bottom. Too beautiful. 
You made it to be seen, so let it be.
Nice work!!!
Gunners Mate, 1st Class, A long time ago...
Nice work! You did the wood justice, let it speak for itself.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone