Pine gum on drum sander
I have committed sacrilege, first by using yellow pine; second by running it thru my drum sander. I have expensive zirconia paper on this thing and don't want to waste it. How do you get this crud off the sand paper?
Now where is that chisel
(06-07-2019, 12:01 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I have committed sacrilege, first by using yellow pine; second by running it thru my drum sander. I have expensive zirconia paper on this thing and don't want to waste it. How do you get this crud off the sand paper?

If it’s cloth backed, soak it in straight simple green, if it’s paper backed throw it away and consider it a lesson learned.
Soak in Simple Green, use a STIFF plastic bristle brush, and elbow grease.

Molding-grade sugar pine did it to me.

Next time I want to run some through I'll try spraying PAM on the paper first.
(06-07-2019, 12:01 AM)Smashedfinger Wrote: I have committed sacrilege, first by using yellow pine; second by running it thru my drum sander. I have expensive zirconia paper on this thing and don't want to waste it. How do you get this crud off the sand paper?

I took a couple slagged up with finish outside, laid them on the driveway and blasted them with a pressure washer.  Worked really well. 

John
Friend had an antique replica shop and used pine all the time. Also had cloth backed belts for his timesaver sander. He took the belts to the car wash and pressure washed them.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I thought those gum rubber belt cleaners took it off easily?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-07-2019, 07:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I thought those gum rubber belt cleaners took it off easily?

No.....those are more hype than reality.

I'll keep some almost worn out paper for pine, then pitch it (pun intended).

Yes, a pressure washer is the best way to clean loaded up drum sander strips.

Ed
(06-07-2019, 07:53 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I thought those gum rubber belt cleaners took it off easily?

Hardwoods............kinda.

Pine..........nope.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Blade and Bit Pitch remover works too.
(06-07-2019, 03:06 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Friend had an antique replica shop and used pine all the time. Also had cloth backed belts for his timesaver sander. He took the belts to the car wash and pressure washed them.

Sounds like an interesting idea, how would you hold them down to pressure wash ?