Lee valley cabinetmaker's glue?
(06-10-2019, 01:23 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Have you sent this before? -

https://www.wwgoa.com/article/measuring-...mbly-time/

Simon

I had not. Bookmarked. Thank you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I like Old Brown Glue a lot.  I'm not in a production shop so I don't mind leaving a project in clamps for an extended time.  I used to get a slow setting white glue from Garrett Wade but I just checked and it's not available anymore.  Plain old Elmer's white glue has a long open time, too.

Lonnie
(06-10-2019, 08:55 PM)Aram Wrote: Arlin,

Because you don't get 30 minutes of time to pull pieces together. The open time in reality is a lot shorter. 5 minutes? 8 minutes? I don't know. Definitely not a half hour. I've been burned by it.

I have never taken that long on my glue ups for turning so I learn something new again.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-09-2019, 11:00 PM)Steve Altman Wrote: Also, 2 part epoxies like West System and G2 have extended open times, but rather long clamp times and are definitely not reversible.

The Lee Valley glue has some gap-filling properties which are helpful in those situations where the joint is not mechanically tight for whatever reason, and you don't feel like fixing it correctly. I know that never happens to anyone
Wink - just mentioning for completeness sake.

2-Part epoxies have a short pot life, but longer open (working times) because they take several hours to completely cure.  Pot life is defined as the time, once mixed, for the viscosity to double or quadruple.  So, effectively, you only have the pot life time to apply and spread a 2-part epoxy to your mating joints.  Once applied, and if in a thin film, you do have some time to reposition and clamp things up, but with the increased viscosity, it's difficult.  For many of us who've used 2-part epoxies to glue in pen barrels, we have experienced this first-hand.

And yes, there's some gap filling properties with the LV glue, but it's not stainable, so don't count on it for filling gaps you need to be stained - unless you mix it with wood dust from your project.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill