Strange lust for hand planes

I can't help myself! I hate materialism, yet I can't stop myself from buying hand planes I don't need. I wonder if it's a recoverable condition? 25 years and counting. Even with a useless right shoulder, I love to push a well tuned antique hand plane through a piece of wood, then carefully placing it back on the shelf; pain for hours ensues from my complaining right shoulder yet I cannot stop! I better go see a head shrink!
Now where is that chisel
  Re: Strange lust for hand planes by Smashedfinger (I can't help myself!...)
So when are you going to tell us about the “strange” part? Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleS...nchtop.skp
Can you learn to plane left-handed?
Maybe you could get your wife to push it for you. That would probably cure your condition.Smile
Well, if you've not done it already, limit your self to one piece per use, e.g., no duplicates except by different manufacturers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Wait, this is a condition?
You have some mild symptoms.   

Someone I know very intimately might do more obsessed things...
- Sing ditties when using the planes
- Name the planes as action-figures  ('the Handsomizer') for example
- Set aside real woodworking projects indefinitely, for plane tuning instead
- Measure the shavings
- Rush to someone in the house and have them sniff fresh sassafras shavings

- Chris
Chris
  Re: RE: Strange lust for hand planes by Admiral (Well, if you've not ...)
(06-10-2019, 02:23 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, if you've not done it already, limit your self to one piece per use, e.g., no duplicates except by different manufacturers.

I follow the principle of two versions of a particular size/configuration of plane - e.g., two No. 3 bench planes - regardless of maker.  One serves to back up the other, in case one of them commits suicide on the concrete floor.  I will make an exception to this principle when there are good reasons (ha! - usually totally irrational emotional excuses) for doing so.  For instance, I have a No. 4 plane, badged "Wards Master," and made by Sargent, that, once I get the Stanley Type 1 Bedrock No. 604 and the Sweetheart era No. 4 going, will be in violation of the principle.  But I remember buying the Wards, at a sale up the hill, for $2, with our Newfie mix dog vibrating on the leash next to me and then behaving very well as I carried it home in the hand not holding the leash; that one stays, even if I never use it.
When you hit 200 of those puppies, we'll think about sending you a stash of tissues. Maybe a couple of cases....
Steve

Re: RE: Strange lust for hand planes by MauleSkinner (So when are you goin...)
(06-10-2019, 01:54 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: So when are you going to tell us about the “strange” part? Wink

What he said.   Uhoh