how many 4’ LED lights for 2 car garage?
just as the title asks. should i put in 4 or 6? wondering if 6 would be too obnoxious? needs to be bright but won’t be doing surgery. anyone have any experience? thank you!
(06-10-2019, 02:29 PM)joshua5 Wrote: just as the title asks. should i put in 4 or 6?  wondering if 6 would be too obnoxious?  needs to be bright but won’t be doing surgery. anyone have any experience?  thank you!

I would start with 6.  End up with 12 probably.  

But probably depends on what size lights you're talking about.

My advise stays the same.  Double whatever you think you need.
I would start with 4 and if that is not enough go up to 5 or 6
I have a two car garage with two garage doors. Two Costco LED Shop Light fixtures hang between the doors and four fixtures in the other half of the garage. Works great, LOTS more light than the two 8' high intensity fluorescents they replaced.
There are ways to estimate the need to have a starting point for consideration.

The estimators I've seen and used calculate lumens per square foot.  The target value for the need is based on the intended use of the space.

I don't remember which estimator I used five years ago when setting up my shop, but here's a link to one:

Omnicalculator

I have an 1100 sq ft shop.  I have eight fluorescent fixtures putting out 92K lumens over half of the area where my woodworking goes on.  The other half is for rolling stock like ATV, mower, garden machines, wood storage, etc.  That half of the shop has 46K lumens for the area.

The lighting for the wood shop comes out to about 167 lumens/sq ft.  The calculator I linked to above suggests a little over 100 lumens/sq ft.  I have been considering replacing my fluorescent with LED fixtures.  I wouldn't want to go any less bright than I have right now.  I have 12 foot ceilings and the fixtures are about 10 feet above the floor; it seems like the volume just "swallows up" some of the light.

My suggestion is to do some research and then decide your starting point.  Maybe you can go to a friend's place to figure out how much lighting they have in that space and determine if you want that much, or more.  Your decision will be influenced by wall color and space configuration.

Good luck.
(06-10-2019, 02:51 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I would start with 6.  End up with 12 probably.  

I think I have ~ 14 (4' fixtures)

Plus under cabinet ones on one workbench and above CNC

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-10-2019, 07:29 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I think I have ~ 14 (4' fixtures)

Plus under cabinet ones on one workbench and above CNC

I have sixteen (yes, 16) 4’ twin tube led fixtures in my 25’x25’ shop and it’s just about right. I can’t imagine only having 4...
Placement will also make a difference. Lots of people center them over the vehicles and then they cast shadows over the sides and little light when working under the hood (if that applies). Better is to get them over the perimeter and in front where they will shine into an engine bay.

Don't ask me where mine are.

Also suggest two or more controls. You don't always want or need the whole place lit up.
Is your garage used just for parking cars and storing stuff or does it have a work space?  How much natural light does it get?  If just used for parking/storage, then 4 are probably sufficient.  If you work in there, then the needs are much different.  Depending on what you do and where, you will probably want additional lighting that is focused on those areas.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Just like others have mentioned you will end up with allot more lights as you go. In my 20x40 shop I have 8' tubes down the middle and then midway between the walls I have some 4' fixtures spread out that I grabbed cheap. I have white vinyl facing the inside on the walls and roof(metal building insulation) and I don't have anywhere near enough light. 

I was spraying epoxy primer on some parts for the mustang and cussing the whole time that I didn't have a dedicated spray booth and that I couldn't see anything I was doing. Painting and finishing require massive amounts of lights from various angles. Maybe this will get the shop add on going so I can have a paint booth...