Tucker...lee valley
(06-12-2019, 09:04 AM)paulJohnstoneJr Wrote: I am just curious.. why is this vise so expensive .. I am asking due to ignorance, not attacking the price.
What does it do that other vices can't do , which makes it so desirable?

It was basically a modern interpretation of a Emmett pattern makers vise.   Extremely versatile, adjustable, stable, etc.  Depending on the type of work you did, it could really add capability to your bench.

If I recall correctly, they sold in the $500-$600 range new from Lee Valley, which wasn't that far out of line with what a good condition, complete Emmett sold for.

$2500...  well, dunno.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(06-12-2019, 09:59 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Another vote from me for...HUH?
Confused

The guy is delusional, but so long as he doesn't go postal, he's entitled to his delusion.  $1200 at best, but generally $1000 would be fair.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Another crackhead hits the pipe!

From LV:

The Tucker Vise by Veritas®

Due to supply and production issues, the Tucker Vise is no longer available. We still have a limited supply of the Extra Plate/Stanchion Set.

The Tucker Vise is the best woodworking vise made in the world today. Seldom can such a statement be made, but it can be made of this vise and we have the awards to prove it.

The vise has 13" wide jaws that open 12" and have a 4" throat depth. It has double guide rods, a 1" main screw, and it weighs 50 lb. The most impressive feature is the full rotation and tilt capability – the vise rotates 360° and tilts from horizontal to vertical and can be locked at any combination of points in the two planes. The front jaw is normally locked in the parallel position, but can also be swivelled 10° either way and locked (or left free floating) to hold tapered work.

Another feature is the automatic opening. An adjustable-tension device opens the vise when the top-release bar or the foot pedal is pressed, leaving your hands free to position the workpiece(s). The jaws are fitted with non-marring leather liners. Four 6" round dogs (two in each jaw) hold work up to 13" wide or 15" in diameter. Double guide rods are mounted slightly higher than the screw to prevent work marring. The vise is suspended from a mounting plate that forms half of the tilt hinge. An extra mounting plate and stanchion set is available to mount the vise in a second location.

The main vise parts are cast and machined from ZA-12, an alloy as strong as cast iron, but less brittle, at only 80% of the weight. The castings have a lifetime guarantee against breakage. Other components are made of steel, brass, and aluminum. All parts (hinges, chain, spring, etc.) to build the foot pedal mechanism are included except the wood.

The tremendous capacity of the vise, the integral dogs, the rotation, tilt, swivel, the quick release and automatic opening features let you use this vise for many functions that would otherwise require special jigs and fixtures. It replaces many other specialized tools. Awarded a Design and Engineering award by Popular Mechanics in 1992, the Tucker vise is above all easy to use.

Made in Canada.

The Tucker Vise
05G09.01 $699.00 (not sure why they still have the price listed if they don't have any)

Extra Plate/Stanchion Set
05G09.02 $79.00

Just go with an Emmert vice. I saw one last summer in good shape for $350.00.
Mercy. Well its still there. Hasn't moved to Ebay yet.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

can't you  buy a couple of decent quality emmerts for that?

Is there any significant improvement of the LV over the $300 Chinese vises?

I saw a really nice old Scandinavian style workbench with the face vice replaced with an Emmert for $1000. Not sure where it's located though
(06-12-2019, 06:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Mercy. Well its still there. Hasn't moved to Ebay yet.

At that price, it will be there until hell freezes over!!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-12-2019, 11:46 AM)Admiral Wrote: The guy is delusional, but so long as he doesn't go postal, he's entitled to his delusion.  $1200 at best, but generally $1000 would be fair.
You know the old saying....something like..."Live in hope....die in despair"
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset