Shop cabinet finish
Looking for something quick easy and can be reapplied easily and can be wiped on. I’ve seen some videos of people using wax but they never mentioned the brand. I kind of like the idea of a wax. Any recommendations?
(06-14-2019, 02:17 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Looking for something quick easy and can be reapplied easily and can be wiped on. I’ve seen some videos of people using wax but they never mentioned the brand.  I kind of like the idea of a wax.  Any recommendations?
What's the application?
John
My guess is they used one of the paste waxes, like Trewax, or SC Johnson paste wax. There are several others, and I expect they are all pretty close to the same. Personally I don't consider them a finish, but on shop cabinets it might be an interesting learning experience. If you go looking for this stuff at the box store, it's probably with the floor products instead of in the finishing area. Most groceries and Wal Mart has it as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-14-2019, 02:17 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Looking for something quick easy and can be reapplied easily and can be wiped on. I’ve seen some videos of people using wax but they never mentioned the brand.  I kind of like the idea of a wax.  Any recommendations?

My recommendation, don't use just wax. If you must, tung oil then johnson's paste wax. There are better waxes, but you're talking about replacing it periodically. In that case, johnsons is cheap and readily available and you should keep it on hand for waxing cast iron and such. Since you'll have it on hand, you can go over your shop cabinets whenever you feel like it.
John the guys on YouTube used them on work top. But I also need something to use on carcasses and drawers as well. I should mention the YouTubers were from Europe in case they use something different over there.

If wax is not a good solution I’m open to anything. Again preferably wipe on and something I can apply several coats on the same day. Thanks
(06-14-2019, 04:32 PM)Juss1 Wrote: John the guys on YouTube  used them on work top.  But I also need something to use on carcasses and drawers as well.  I should mention the YouTubers were from Europe in case they use something different over there.

If wax is not a good solution I’m open to anything. Again preferably wipe on and something I can apply several coats on the same day.  Thanks

OK, worktops, as in bench tops I assume.  In that case paraffin dissolved in mineral oil heated in a double boiler water bath on the stove, and then applied while still warm to your benchtop is the traditional "finish".  Slather it on, keep it warm with a hot air gun, add more to any dry spots until the wood won't absorb any more, and then scrape off the rest with a plastic scraper and buff with a cloth.  Repeat as needed.  

You could use the same mixture, or just straight paste wax like Black Bison or Renaissance, on drawers, too, but shellac is easier and provides better protection.  Just wipe it on.  It dries in a few minutes and you can apply another coat in 30 minutes.  Two coats is usually enough on drawer boxes.  

There's no harm in using wax on casework either, and I think Krenov liked it on some of his pieces, but they were show pieces not something that saw any real use.  If that's what you are making, go ahead and use wax.  But again, shellac is just about as easy and fast.  

In Europe, they used to use soap as a finish, too.  Looks pretty cool on some woods.
Well...not quick, but I usually go with a flat color paint, then spray on a WB poly. It can also be wiped on if yer not setup for spraying
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I use General Finishes Endurovar.
It’s a tinted water based polyurethane that dries in
about 4 hours, flows nicely and sands easily.
I apply with a foam brush.