Small dishwasher
For layout reasons, we're seriously considering going with an 18" Bosch dishwasher for the retirement house.  Other than the obvious 25% capacity difference, is there another reason this is dumb?  If I had it my way we wouldn't have a DW at all... but I lost that one.  

??
After we remodeled our kitchen about 10 years ago, we installed our first dish washer.  If I have anything to say about it, we will never be without one again.  

I'd plan for the capacity you expect to have daily. If the smaller one will handle it in a single load without too much open space, then go for it.
(06-14-2019, 06:29 PM)KC Wrote: For layout reasons, we're seriously considering going with an 18" Bosch dishwasher for the retirement house.  Other than the obvious 25% capacity difference, is there another reason this is dumb?  If I had it my way we wouldn't have a DW at all... but I lost that one.  

??

Wife and I are empty nesters these days with a normal size dishwasher.

Wife doesn't like running half-full dishwasher.  I tell her not to wait until it is full.

You'll be fine.
(06-14-2019, 06:40 PM)stav Wrote: After we remodeled our kitchen about 10 years ago, we installed our first dish washer.  If I have anything to say about it, we will never be without one again.  

I'd plan for the capacity you expect to have daily. If the smaller one will handle it in a single load without too much open space, then go for it.

There will only be the two of us, and we seldom put pots/pans in the DW.   As it is now, we rarely have a full load even after two or three days.
(06-14-2019, 06:52 PM)KC Wrote: There will only be the two of us, and we seldom put pots/pans in the DW.   As it is now, we rarely have a full load even after two or three days.

That is the thing, with the kids gone you have more time to attend to getting on the dishes sooner.  So less dishes + more time = smaller capacity.
The biggest concern I would have is down the road. If you decide to sell the house  it may take away a lot of appeal. Personally, an 18" one would work for us as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The Bosch 18” is a very good dishwasher and the price reflects that. Practically speaking you are really only giving up capacity.

Almost all European brand dishwashers have the ability to one, only wash the top rack , or two; sense how full (dirty really) the load is and then adjust the water level and run time to suit. Meaning, there really isn’t concern about have a “full” dishwasher to run it.

You must also get used to using rinse aid with a euro dishwasher. Otherwise, the dishes aren’t going to dry very well.

Another alternative to look at is a DishDrawer by Fisher Paykel. Comes in single and double variants. 24” wide , it has ability to be smaller capacity and or the flexibility to be a full sized should you need it. They are also great for bars.
I agree with the comment about resale. A smaller dishwasher could be a major factor in whether your house sells easily or not. As suggested, take a look at the Fishel Paykel 2-drawer dishwasher. It's (much) more expensive but the smaller top drawer is a nice feature. By the way, Consumer Reports does not like Fishel Paykel. Apparently their reliability is much worse than average. So that's the good, bad and ugly!
Thanks for the comments. 
Yes
(06-16-2019, 04:34 PM)dg152 Wrote: I agree with the comment about resale.  A smaller dishwasher could be a major factor in whether your house sells easily or not.  As suggested, take a look at the Fishel Paykel 2-drawer dishwasher.  It's (much) more expensive but the smaller top drawer is a nice feature.  By the way, Consumer Reports does not like Fishel Paykel.  Apparently their reliability is much worse than average.  So that's the good, bad and ugly!

We have a Fisher Paykel DW that's 12 years old. The only issue we've had is a solenoid valve I replaced for $40 with help from YouTube. Other than that it's been rock solid. Bottom drawer is a bit noisier that the top unit.

Great for a two person household, we run one of the drawers every 3-4 days. Very functional.